Camping Tips Homemade Gear

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Camping Tips Homemade Gear

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Some thrifty and dual purpose ideas there! I especially like these..

3. Canning rings can be use to cook your eggs in for egg sandwiches. (Works well for English Muffins or Hamburger buns).

5. Use a large zip lock plastic bag, filled with air, as a pillow.
9. Plastic bottles can be used for canteens. Make sure the lid does not leak before using in a backpack. (( I save our Minute Maid and Gatorade smaller bottles, they go thru the dishwasher really well, top rack, and the lids close tight again. I use these to take tea, milk, etc to work everyday))

21. Put matches in corrugated cardboard strips (about every other hole) and dip into paraffin for fire starters. Cut off what you need to start a fire.

20. Make fire starters by filling paper condiment cups with saw dust and pouring paraffin into the cup.

24. Use a cookie tin as a dutch oven. (( would this really work??))27. Prescription bottles or 35mm file containers make good storage places for small items. (( This works for Q tips, aspirins,etc and lotion or shampoo...but I put in a ziploc bag too just in case it leaks!))

30. Make a camp washing machine from a five gallon bucket and a toilet plunger. (( good idea! especially if camping for a week))33. Laundry lint makes good tinder. (I tried this in the grill outside, pretty good ! Will use with # 79)
61. Make handy fire-starters by filling egg carton cups with lint from the dryer and pouring melted paraffin over the lint. Break the cup off to start each fire.

79. Save inner cardboard tubes from kitchen and toilet rolls, stuff with waste paper and use as fire-lighters. (( I've already been saving these for just such an idea!))
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rubyede » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:36 pm

Some intersting hints. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
rubyede
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:17 am

Home made fire pit using a propane tank.....
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby kirtsjc » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:14 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Some thrifty and dual purpose ideas there! I especially like these..

3. Canning rings can be use to cook your eggs in for egg sandwiches. (Works well for English Muffins or Hamburger buns).

Duh, would that be rim up, or rim down, and with or without lid??? AND, if I use a lid with the ring, how do I "unscrew' the egg from the ring ? :?

Seriously, the rim part does confuse me... simple stuff does that...

Now, to slather on more lotion for the sunburned toes, feet and ankles then hobble off to bed for a nice afternoon nappie...
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby kirtsjc » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Ma3tt wrote:Home made fire pit using a propane tank.....

I have access to hundreds of tanks of assorted sizes (pre-OPD)...

How long should I let the valve be open before removing it, and then how long after valve removal should I let the tank set?

Then, do I need to wash out the tank any special way before taking a torch to it?

Looks like I should plan on cutting over to the valve thread for the notch, right?

Any kind of rack inside, or just "dump it in 'der?"
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Jewel and John,

I tried that one with the canning ring this morning. it works great. John, that would be rim up and no, you dont have to unscrew the egg :lol: . A normal size ring makes for a pretty thick egg, so you are going to have to go pretty slow with it or you will burn the bottom. A wide mouth ring makes an egg that was exactly the size of my muffins and cooked much faster.

They are certainly cheap enough since we do lots of canning in the summer time, but they would be no easier to carry than regular egg rings.

Tasty all the same.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:29 pm

kirtsjc wrote:.... if I use a lid with the ring, how do I "unscrew' the egg from the ring ?

I bet if you spayed some Pam on the ring before you cracked the egg into it, you could just use your thumbs to push the egg out of it.

I make firestarters by putting charcoal brickettes in cardboard egg containers and pour melted parafin over the whole mess. You can cut each "pocket" out separately or use the whole thing in one shot.

I never thought about using the toilet paper tube. You could probably stuff three charcoals in one and soak it in parafin. :thinking:
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:39 pm

There's some good ideas on that list. :thumbsup:

I use "soap" to rub against the tent zipper to keep it from "snagging" and kept in good working condition, expecially usefull if the tent has set up for a few seasons.

I also made emergency firestarters out of bottle caps by melting wax into them while leaving a short piece of string (wick) sticking out of the top. I then dip the "wick" in the wax to water proof it. I put a few of these in an old Altoid can along with a bic lighter for emergencies. Throw the altoid can in your camp box or back pack until needed. It's very small and portable.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:41 pm

I just summerged the whole thing in water displacing all the old propane. The apex of the mouth cut just around the valve, so hammer off the handles, sut around the valve. I think my grill is 12"? and it sets in there tight. I was way impressed with this little one hour project. It was way fun to do and the thing is fantastic for two people, it puts out great heat and is really pretty, Grind some designs in the sides they glow a different color when its burnin. there is a lady online that makes these and sells them for around $50 each.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Warpony,

I sprayed them with Pam and put them on the griddle to heat up for a couple of minutes before I started cooking. When the egg had set up, I just used a fork to lift the ring straight up, egg slipped right out, no thumbs required :D

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:26 pm

IndyTom wrote:Warpony,

I sprayed them with Pam....... no thumbs required

Sweeeeeeeet, I'd hate to strip the threads on my egg :roll: !!

BTW, I like your signature........... that's funny :lol: .
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:41 pm

Warpony,

Sweeeeeeeet, I'd hate to strip the threads on my egg Rolling Eyes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I know, talk about ruining your breakfast.

Thanks for the compliment. If there was more of me in my avatar, it would be appearant that I resemble that remark.

:lol:

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:00 pm

I'd be real certain to wash out the tank before cutting into it. A couple of weekends ago I was going to make a large charcoal starter out of one for when I go to Dutch Oven Gatherings. The tank had set for months with the valve open but I still decided to fill it with water before cutting into it. Even after all that time you could smell the residual gas being displaced as I filled it with water. I know I'm stating the obvious, but you don't want to cut into a propane tank with residual gas in it.

Just my .02 worth,
Joanne

kirtsjc wrote:
Ma3tt wrote:Home made fire pit using a propane tank.....

I have access to hundreds of tanks of assorted sizes (pre-OPD)...

How long should I let the valve be open before removing it, and then how long after valve removal should I let the tank set?

Then, do I need to wash out the tank any special way before taking a torch to it?

Looks like I should plan on cutting over to the valve thread for the notch, right?

Any kind of rack inside, or just "dump it in 'der?"
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby kirtsjc » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Joanne wrote:Even after all that time you could smell the residual gas being displaced as I filled it with water. I know I'm stating the obvious, but you don't want to cut into a propane tank with residual gas in it.

There ya go! A Voice of Experience!

Thank you!

:applause:
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets