water drenched ice chest... other ideas?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby sjptak » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Sorry Jewel...but it's hard for me to help you here. In Alaska, I tend to worry about the food freezing...but for your information, here's how I typically do it...

Take your pulaski and the cooler out to your back yard and whack off the appropriate amount of ice from the glacier. Layer glacier ice with Bud until you have a solid foundation covering about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the capacity of the cooler. Lay your frozen packages of moose burger on top of ice and Bud to fill. All vegetables should be canned and kept in a Safeway bag separately from the cooler, preferably in a location where they will not rattle as you drive.

Upon arrival at the camping destination...drink beer, eat at a restaurant or mooch off the guys with dutch ovens. Put thawed and unused moose burger in a location near to camp for evening bear watching. Use melted glacier water/ice mixture remaining in cooler to soak the hand you burned while trying to light campfire....Juneaudave
:twisted: :thumbsup: :applause: :twisted: :thumbsup: :applause: :twisted: :thumbsup: :applause: :twisted: :thumbsup: :applause: :twisted: :thumbsup: :applause:
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby sjptak » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Sorry, it was a double post.......
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby campfiremaster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:06 pm

i got a 5 day extreme cooler from wally world for 25 bucks it dosent live up to the 5 day name but does seen to last a lil longer than a standard cooler
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WarPony » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:47 pm

I'm with Madjack on the Igloo coolers. I buy only the Igloo Marine coolers because they are all white and keep ice alot longer than the Coleman cheapies. I go on multiday canoe trips and one thing I have also done is use a burlap potato sack dunked in the river and drape it over the top of the cooler. The evaporative effect will help keep the ice around longer. A couple of other things I've tried is cutting a piece of Reflectix bubble material the size of the cooler opening and just laying it on top of contents of the cooler. Something else I have recently tried with some pretty good success....... use the plastic sacks that the ice came in and lay it on top of ice before you shut the lid. You'd be suprised how good it works.

If you want cool water, freeze small bottles of your own water to drink. I DO NOT use bagged ice to use in my drinks. One time, I filled a glass with ice to drink from. I forgot about it and when it came time to dump it out, there was a bunch of crap sitting on the bottom of the glass. That was the end of that!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Freezer Ice

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:34 am

On my last trip to Somerset, Pa, I loaded up from my freezers Ice Maker on Thursday afternoon 1:00 PM and it lasted until into Monday with a small bag from Walmart to extend its life. On Monday morning I still had some of the House ice still in the bottom of my ice chest.

However I went camping to Keystone State Park, Pa and I bought a bag from a huckster who canvased his wood and ice and his bag of ice I purchased never made it through the night. It was nothing but water. :roll:

My Freezer chest is full now. Time to go on a trip!
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:24 pm

I have one of those stainless steel Coleman anniversary coolers. It's not as insulated as a lot of coolers. I use a battery powered fridge fan in it. The kind made for RV refrigerators. Makes my ice last longer and also makes stuff in the cooler a more consistent temperature since it is blowing the cold air around. I put two blocks of ice in the cooler and after 3 days in warm weather it only shrinks by half. Two blocks in my icebox in the trailer typically last two days. By that time, I move whatever is left in there to the Coleman cooler.

I want to try dry ice in my icebox one of these times to see how it does.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets