Built in Mosquito repellant

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Built in Mosquito repellant

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:44 am

When I was at the TearJerker's gathering in Ohio, I learned that Garlic pills can help repel bugs.
After doing a little research, I am becoming convinced that it (Garlic) will work as a repellant.
I usually don't have a big problem with the Mosquitoes, but after putting 2 and 4 together, I realized that watching "Emeril Live" might be helping me out. I love to "kick it up a notch" with garlic and Cajun seasoning so the thought that I was a natural mosquito repellant never really crossed my mind. I love to meet people and see old friends but.....
If I've offended anyone, in any way, I sincerely apologize! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love garlic...!! :thumbsup:

Has anyone usede this , or other means to repel bugs?? :thinking:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Re: Built in Mosquito repellant

Postby Joseph » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:04 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:I love garlic...!!

Same here. One of my favorite restaruants in the world is the Stinking Rose in San Francisco, where their motto is, "We season our garlic with food." :thumbsup: A word of warning - you can seriously overload on garlic. If you're planning on having the 40 Clove Chicken, do NOT order the roasted garlic appetizer. BOY did I get sick! :?

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:22 pm

Joseph wrote:A word of warning - you can seriously overload on garlic. If you're planning on having the 40 Clove Chicken, do NOT order the roasted garlic appetizer. BOY did I get sick! :?

Joseph

That's the first time I heard of someone ODing on garlic. I didn't know that was possible. :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Joseph wrote:

Same here. One of my favorite restaruants in the world is the Stinking Rose in San Francisco, where their motto is, "We season our garlic with food." :thumbsup: A word of warning - you can seriously overload on garlic. If you're planning on having the 40 Clove Chicken, do NOT order the roasted garlic appetizer. BOY did I get sick! :?

Joseph

Thanks for the support. I knew there was some garlic fanciers out there. It's funny, but a lot of people frown when they hear "garlic", but not many will dislike the cooking results.

Garlic has been historically know for it medical benefits.

I don't realy care, but I like the added taste that comes from garlic. :thumbsup:
Con
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/health.htm
Pro http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-health.html
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:26 pm

...down thisaway, garlic is part of the holy trinity (along with onion and celery) it goes into almost everything we cook...and with a heavy hand (thank you Gilmore Ca.)...as a result, when outside with a group, mosquitoes will eat up everyone else before they bother me in the least...however, if no one else is around, they don't mind a little snack o' me....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Garlic

Postby crankshaft » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:44 pm

Garlic.. I love it,,,,, I hang it around my neck to keep the vamps away.

:) Crankshaft
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Hey, Crankshaft...................the vamps aren't so bad, it's the vampires I'd worry about! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:17 pm

Joseph wrote:

Joseph

I had a 2 week training course in San Jose. One of the guys went to that restaurant the night before and you smell it on him.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:19 pm

I take garlic pills along with my vitamins to help with keeping my blood pressure down. It works! :lol:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Garlic (and vitamin C) are also anti-bacterial... "AND" anti-viral!!! :o :o :o
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ma3tt » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:21 pm

See I can tie nearly any thread to Cast Iron......

Every time I bbq I peel the outer skin, a tab of butter on each head, some basil, sage and pepper, 45 minutes, spreads like butter on crackers or on corn on the cob or add flavor to burgers.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Nytewyng » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Ma3tt .... :thumbsup: freakin looks absolutely yummy
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Ma3tt wrote:See I can tie nearly any thread to Cast Iron......

Ma3tt, Garlic seems to be one of those ingredients that eveyone likes but not everyone knows it's in there. I've made some recipes that include garlic and turnips and cream cheese along with the mashed potatoes (for thanksgiving dinner) and people always love it. Sometimes the less you know, the better it is. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:39 am

Maybe I don't get enough of it, but we take garlic pills every morning with our vitamins....supposed to lower colesterol. However, the mosquitos come from miles around to bite me. :(
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:13 am

SteveH wrote:Maybe I don't get enough of it, but we take garlic pills every morning with our vitamins....supposed to lower colesterol. However, the mosquitos come from miles around to bite me. :(

Steve,

I'm the same way! People will tell me that "there aren't any mosquitos around here" and I'll still get eaten alive. I was in Belize and they were biting me through the fabric on back of my shirt. There was a "fog" of mosquitos around me the whole time. Ugh.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Next

Return to Camping Secrets