Seat in Benroy

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Seat in Benroy

Postby Dave.IOM » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible and practical to have a bed in the Benroy that converts to a seat? (Or conversely a sofa that flattens into a bed?) Thanks.
Dave.IOM
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Seat in Benroy

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 am

Yup :)

Easiest option is a tri-fold futon sofa with an optional drop floor compartment.

Other people have built-in sofa mechanisms. Dusty Marks has one, I think.

Benroy is one of the best profiles for a built-in bed. Lots of headroom. Depending on how tall you are, you might consider going to a 5-ft sidewall.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:39 am

Ours is a modified "benroy" design. It is 5.5' H x 5.5' W x 10' L (most extreme interior measurements). Bed is a 16" high platform, that the galley rides under. This summer I'm doing some mods and upgrades to the interior portions. The bed has two side storage areas, one 10" wide the other 16" wide and run the length of the bed. A plywood piece rides in the center section. I've now cut out a 24" wide section from the plywood bed foot area, which allows us to flip over the mattress section and turn the side areas into seats. The cut piece rotates 90 degrees and becomes a table if we want. This makes it a dinette/game table/whatever,. I'm just over 6' tall and this allows me to sit fully upright because the mattress is folded over and will be held down with straps to the side area when I finish.

I was going to make the head portion act as kind of a chaise lounge, but the rear curves are just too great to make it work well and still be comfortable, if using as a back panel, plus I'd have to make another section and I don't want to weaken the plywood section. In the meantime, and since we built it, we just use a couple of those weird looking back pillows with arms to act as a back support if watching the "tv" or reading in the camper.

I'm not quite done, probably by this weekend, and will post photos, but so far it works pretty well.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Dave.IOM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:08 am

Dave
I'd be very interested to see some pictures of your setup, please.
Dave.IOM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 am

Still have a bit more work to do on it, really hot down here now and also daughter came up to visit for the day yesterday so no work on the trailer then, but I should have it all finished in a couple of days and will then post images.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Generic Building Plans