Benroy with a roof rack

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Benroy with a roof rack

Postby Dave.IOM » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 am

Will a Benroy take a roof rack (to take limited weights)?
If so, how should it be built?
Thanks!
Dave.IOM
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Benroy with a roof rack

Postby clamlamp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:39 pm

I'm planning to add a roof rack as well, anyone have any links to hardware or build journals?
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:51 pm

This is what I did using Yakima racks. The brackets were cut from 1/8" aluminum square tubing bolted through the sides. Solid wood carries the weight down to the chassis. This is on a foamy camper. On typical wood sandwich construction just make sure you have a continuous path of solid wood down to your floor or chassis. The most I've had on them is four kayaks (at 70 MPH) and it was fine. No sign of movement of the brackets.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby clamlamp » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:This is what I did using Yakima racks. The brackets were cut from 1/8" aluminum square tubing bolted through the sides. Solid wood carries the weight down to the chassis. This is on a foamy camper. On typical wood sandwich construction just make sure you have a continuous path of solid wood down to your floor or chassis. The most I've had on them is four kayaks (at 70 MPH) and it was fine. No sign of movement of the brackets.

Great idea! Thanks for sharing~! :applause:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Return to Generic Building Plans