Hatch considerations

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Hatch considerations

Postby Sunderwood » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 am

Morning!

I am attempting my first tear drop build. I found and purchased a trailer that already had the side walls cut and installed. A classic example of starting a project and life getting too busy. So I have a started project but have to piece together what the original owners vision was.

I have decided to use the generic benroy plans. My question is since I am not sure what the original plan was, are there any special considerations I need to take into account about where to place the double spar for the hatch attachment? I was thinking maybe you didn't want it to far forward or back for ease of lifting it up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stacy

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Sunderwood
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hatch considerations

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am

You want to place it so that when open to a reasonable angle, it is open wide enough that people don't bonk their heads. Except really tall mutants, then they have developed thick skulls from all the scar tissue :shock: Its also good go keep it off a flat area, so that water doesn't want to stand at the hinge. Post up some side profile pics with where you think you want to put the hinge marked and you can get better feedback.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Hatch considerations

Postby Sunderwood » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:13 am

Socal Tom wrote:You want to place it so that when open to a reasonable angle, it is open wide enough that people don't bonk their heads. Except really tall mutants, then they have developed thick skulls from all the scar tissue :shock: Its also good go keep it off a flat area, so that water doesn't want to stand at the hinge. Post up some side profile pics with where you think you want to put the hinge marked and you can get better feedback.
Blue tape marks where I currently have the wall marked out to divide cabin and galley. How does that look for starting the hatch?Image

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Sunderwood
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Generic Building Plans