Insulation query

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Insulation query

Postby swizz » Mon May 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi,

i've been nosying at these free plans - thanks for doing all the legwork & putting them on here for free btw :thumbsup:

Question is, I can understand that a pretty good weight saving will be made by building insulated sides instead of the solid 3/4 ply ones in the plan - but from an insulation point of view does it make a huge difference comfort wise?

Here in the UK we have quite a large difference in temperature through the year - I just wondered whether taking the easy route to building would result in condensation pouring down the walls in colder weather or unbearably hot temps in summer :roll:

Cheers,
Swizz...
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon May 14, 2007 1:14 pm

Swizz...we're in personal preference territory here...we build with solid 3/4" side and have noticed no problems...of course we also use AC and a FantasticFan vent to control condensation and temps while sleeping...others go different ways and as always YMMV.......
madjack 8)

p.s. oh yeah...DO insulate the roof............MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon May 14, 2007 7:53 pm

Swizz,

MadJack is so right when he says it's a matter of preference. I did the insulation all around route and of course think it is the best way. One other thing insulation does is cut down on noise ---- getting in the Teardrop and getting out..... 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 14, 2007 8:02 pm

I am building yet another teardrop, and I plan on doing the extra work and putting the insulation in. It's probably not necessary, but since I'll have the voids in the wall anyways, I will fill it with Extruded Polystyrene.

YMMV.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:38 am

Is the final weight of your trailer an issue? If so, building with insulated panels will save you some weight.

Just something that may help you make your decision. :thinking:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby pieface » Wed May 16, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi
There is a guy in Bury who is selling tears on e bay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/american-teardrop ... dZViewItem
if you look at his photos he appears to have used 3/4 ply and cut it out to lighten it and then insulated the voids. I'm not sure if I would want to go that route myself but every one to their own. :thinking:
I think that camping in our weather conditions would need insulation and good ventilation. :lol: Having said that I have been thinking about 3/4 ply and covering the interior with that thin cord carpet type material that they use on the inside of our buses.

pieface 8)
pieface
Teardrop Master

Re: Insulation query

Postby WarPony » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:07 pm

swizz wrote:Here in the UK we have quite a large difference in temperature through the year.........

I've wondered what temps you guys get over there :thinking: .........

I'd insulate, you'll be happier in the long run.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 am

I'm with the above group on insulation. :thumbsup:

I used insulation panels also.

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Another question about insulation

Postby ArtMini » Tue May 20, 2008 5:35 pm

I saw the pics of the guy who cut out the 3/4 plywood and filled it in with insulation, I thought it was pretty creative. Some one said they didn't like it. So tell me, from Outside to Inside, exactly what should a wall consist of, Outside skin? ribs or solid wood? insulation and inside skin? I'm getting ready to build my first tear drop in the next week or two. Now I'm confused? Is the insulation simply glued to the outer wall, then glue the inside wall to the insulation?

Art
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Russ in California » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Seems like the insulation would help also in the heat. Especially if you wanted to take a nap.
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 pm

I looked at this same thing, and found that the R-Value of Plywood sheets is not much worse than the R-Value of foam panels, in equal thickness. You could add a radiant barrier to your plywood and get a nice bump in R-Value, too. Put some Thinsulate material inside the walls, and you get a nice R-Value.

I'm going with 3/4 plywood on my next build. I'll probably use a radiant barrier and insulation in my roof, but just plywood on the walls. Here in North Texas, it is not unusual for summer temperatures to be around 40 C. And in January, we will often see freezing temperatures at night. I doubt you see that much variance in the UK.

Do some web searches for information on R-Values, and I think you will be surprised at how much information is available.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:04 pm

Swizz, I live in central Pennsylvania, and I built my tear without insulation. The walls are plywood, and the roof is 1/4" birch ply with no inner ceiling, hence no insulation. I have camped here between May and October, and have had no condensation to speak of, and have always been comfortable. The tear will get quite warm in direct summer sunlight, but cools quickly with the windows open and two 12 volt computer fans making cross ventilation. I'm not saying this it the way to go, but it has worked well for me, and it saved me a lot of construction work. I guess your decision depends on how you use your teardrop. If you plan to camp in winter, then you should probably insulate it.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:46 am

My build required 3 sheets of 1/2 osb per side, They were butt joined and cleated internally by screwing them to a 1x4. This created a 3/4 inch void in the wall for 3/4 blue foam insulation. I then skinned the inside with 1/4 luan over the 1x4 's and the foam. I used the same luan outside glued to the osb. My floor had 1 1/2 inch wheel well humps that had to go! So I put down 2 layers of 3/4 foam board and a 7/16 layer of osb over the foam. Galley wall has 3/4 foam under the luan also. My only short fall was my lexan roof. In summer sun you have a greenhouse and in extreme cold it will frost over to the point it will snow inside. We have camped at -1 and a -15 windchill and 95+ direct summer sun and neither were pleasant but tolerable. I have learned to cover the see thur roof with a reflective blanket in high heat and a heavy quilt in extreme cold and both methods help a great deal. I am sure this same technique would help any solid top tear as well.
Might not look real pretty but if it creates a good nights sleep who really cares. Yes I feel insulation is important if you intend to use your tiny trailer in extreme weather. If you are a 55 to79 degree weather camper then OH WELL !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 am

I hit somewhere in the middle by using a "Foam Backed" rug to cover the inside 3/4" plywood sides.

My roof and front wall, as well as the footboard are insulated and have had no condensation problems.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 am

R value of 3/4 ply is .91 +/-....

the lowest I could find for 3/4 foam was R = 2.6
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Generic Building Plans