Question on the Generic build...

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Question on the Generic build...

Postby Sean the Leprechaun » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi Guys. I am in the middle of my Generic Benroy build and I have a few questions.
I don't see any details on what materials to use for the top. I plan on skinning with Uni255 and thinking about using 1/8" Luan. COMMENTS...
Also, how and where should I join/mate the three top pieces? (I am 58.5 wide).
How should I finish / join it to the frame on top of the tongue?
How can I finish the lower rear area below the hatch? I really like that clean white look mike has given it.
I see on the plans that Mike has an outside "porch" light on. I would really like to put one on each side, but I can't think of how to hide the wiring on the inside. (3/4 Birch walls..) THOUGHTS...
One last question, on the Uni255, Tom Swenson mentions how it gathers lots of dust/dirt. Is it really that bad? (I really like the thought of using it over alum or filon).
Sean the Leprechaun
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Question on the Generic build...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16 am

If you are using ridid insulation, then 1/8" luan is good. If you are not using ridid insulation, then two layers of luan is better.

There should only be one joint on top, and it can be in the same vincinity as the joint on the inside ceiling. I would use a stapler to tack the luan to the spars. Then come back in and fill the holes before painting.

I would use CPES though, it'll protect the wood from rotting. Then put your Uniflex or whatever you want over that.

As far as wiring for your lights, you can run the wire down the inside wall from the ceiling and then thru the hole to the porch light, and then cover it with a piece of molding.

Let's ask Tom about the Uniflex 255 again.

Mike...

Sean the Leprechaun wrote:Hi Guys. I am in the middle of my Generic Benroy build and I have a few questions.
I don't see any details on what materials to use for the top. I plan on skinning with Uni255 and thinking about using 1/8" Luan. COMMENTS...
Also, how and where should I join/mate the three top pieces? (I am 58.5 wide).
How should I finish / join it to the frame on top of the tongue?
How can I finish the lower rear area below the hatch? I really like that clean white look mike has given it.
I see on the plans that Mike has an outside "porch" light on. I would really like to put one on each side, but I can't think of how to hide the wiring on the inside. (3/4 Birch walls..) THOUGHTS...
One last question, on the Uni255, Tom Swenson mentions how it gathers lots of dust/dirt. Is it really that bad? (I really like the thought of using it over alum or filon).
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:08 am

Sean,

I did it much like Mike suggested.

I used low profile switches from HD on the inside so I had to offset them from the wall 3/4 ". So I cut a 3/4" bezel for the switch to fit into. I designed the bezel so that it touched the ceiling. Routed a chase in the bezel and ran the wires in the chase behind the bezel. Wires are not visible.

The porch light is on the outside directly behind the light switch.

If you route a small chase in the 3/4 birch side for the wire you could cover the wire with something utilitarian (a coat hook) instead of just molding. Or if you don't want to cut into the side mount the coat hook on a bezel and cut the chase in the bezel. It's all the same, just a creative approach.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:56 pm

I mounted my "porch light" under my doors. I used a waterproof switch on the inside of my fender with a 25 LED strip. All wires are under the trailer. This is not the best picture, but it lights up the ground around the doors pretty good.

I used amber LEDs so I don't attract bugs.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Generic Building Plans