Generic Benroy on HF 4x8 Trailer

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Generic Benroy on HF 4x8 Trailer

Postby R. Maxwell » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 pm

I am new to this forum and this may not be the right area to ask this question, but I will ask anyway.

I am building my first tear and want to do build the Benroy, so can I use a HF 4x8 and overhang with difference with the subfloor? And if so would would I have to increase the subflooring to 2x4 for added strength?

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is a great resource.

-Rich
Rich
R. Maxwell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kens » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:12 pm

I used 2x2s on mine it worked fine over a 4x8 frame. I just used the plans for ideas and a reference. You don't have to follow plans exactly. Just do what you think is the best.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:25 am

Rich,

Look at my 4x8 Benroy pictures here.

There isn't a photo of it, but I used 2x2s for the subfloor.

http://www.mikenchell.com/4x8_Benroy_Photo_Album/

If you build an overhang, you'll have to build up the wheel wells...

Look at my overhang design here. I only used 1 tiny piece of 2x4, and I could have used 2x2 there too!
http://www.mikenchell.com/WWEH_Photo_Album/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R. Maxwell » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks for the information Mike. The pictures are great and I will be using them.

One more question, when you built up the wheelwells did you treat them with roof tar or somthing else to protect them from road debris?

Ok two questions. In the picture your treating the top side of the floor with what? It looks great.

-Rich
Rich
R. Maxwell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:46 pm

The underside was treated with roofing tar. It works great, and it's cheap.

The topside was coated with 2 or 3 coats of spar urethane, the glossy stuff. It makes the luan look like mahagony... nice eh? :)

Mike...

R. Maxwell wrote:Thanks for the information Mike. The pictures are great and I will be using them.

One more question, when you built up the wheelwells did you treat them with roof tar or somthing else to protect them from road debris?

Ok two questions. In the picture your treating the top side of the floor with what? It looks great.

-Rich
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R. Maxwell » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 am

Mike thanks for the information, I hope :twisted: to start my build in the next two weeks. I have my plans pretty well drawn up and now I am just waiting to get the trailer and start working.

This site is incredibly helpfull, I will be on here all the time asking questions.

Rich
Rich
R. Maxwell
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Generic Benroy on HF 4x8 Trailer

Postby dperry324 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 pm

I'm sorry for bringing this old thread back from the dead, but I have a question re having a 5x8 floor on a HF 4x8 frame.

What are the stability concerns with doing such a thing? Do I need bigger tires? Should I use tire extenders? Does this make the trailer more, or less stable?
Regards,
Darryl
dperry324
Teardrop Inspector

Location: Currently Houston Tx, Silicon Valley, CA born and raised!

Re: Generic Benroy on HF 4x8 Trailer

Postby djdawg » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Wow, it's crazy seeing these super old posts in this thread. I wonder if R. Maxwell ever built and finished his (or hers) teardrop. 11 years ago now! And I wonder if dperry324 built theirs too and if they figured out the floor issue.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Return to Generic Building Plans