Step 1: Planning the design.

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Postby Salivanto » Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 am

Hello everybody,
I've been pulling some details from this design in making my own design and I have just found myself going back to the drawing board -- so here are my questions. I've been assuming that the first rectangle (actually, more of a triangle) on the back of the generic place was the counter, that the second was kitchen storage, and the third was storage to be accessed from the inside of the cabin. Is this correct? What are the dimensions of the various spaces? I've seen the rule of thumb that the cabinets should be 16" deep. Is that how long it is here? I've seen a lot of builder's pages for tears which don't seem to have this middle block (the one I'm assuming is the kitchen cabinet.) Is it necessary? I'm trying to design a small trailer for me, my wife, and three small kids, which would use the cabinet space as bunk space. (See message in "member designs".) I think this will mean making a more modest kitchen. I wanted to make sure I understood the dimensions of this generic plan before I went on any further from there.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 10, 2005 3:01 pm

Actually you are very close.

The rectangle at the rear is galley storage.

The rectangle in the middle is a half cabinet. On the other side of the half cabinet is a stove.

The rectangle in front of that is the cabin cabinet.

The middle and front cabinets are about 10 1/2". That's very close to an upper cabinet in most homes.

If you want more storage, the easiest cabinet to modify is the cabin cabinet. You could make it as deep as you want.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Planning the design

Postby wayner » Tue May 10, 2005 6:17 pm

WO WO WO You did say the wife and three children didnt YOU. Now thats either a close family or no snoring room. First off I have seen the tear drops with no galley and some fellow put his motor cycle inside I think if i were you I would put in a large folding table with chares and keep the whole of the tear drop as sleeping area just my opinion. I think you beter think this one out before you head out on the road or make a bigger tear drop now theres an idea LOL LOL
wayner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Salivanto » Tue May 10, 2005 10:11 pm

Yes, Wayner, wife and three (small) kids. Check out
my sketch and description in the "member designs"
section and let me know what I overlooked. Thanks
for your input.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Salivanto » Wed May 11, 2005 6:52 am

Thanks for the reply, Mike...

So, as I understand all this... starting from the back of the trailer and looking at the three vertical lines in the top half of the trailer (not counting the front wall, back wall or any part of the door) the first line is 16" in, the second is 10 more inches in, and the third is another 10 or so more inches in, right?

What the heck, I'll sketch a picture to say the same thing:

> If you want more storage, the easiest cabinet
> to modify is the cabin cabinet. You could make
> it as deep as you want.

I'd actually like to store my 5 year old in that cabin cabinet. Surely there must be a limit to "as deep as you want." How far up your body can you extend that cabinet without a problem? Knees? Mid-thigh? All the way to the door?
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 11, 2005 7:27 am

You could, in theory, go all the way to the door. But then you might feel claustrophobic. I would not try to put 5 people in a teardrop, and especially not an 8' teardrop, which is what the benroy is.

You could do 2 adults and 1 kid using Rik Keller's design (in the Hall of Fame)

You could do 2 adults and 2 kids using Andrews 2+2 design
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm

But 2 adults and 3 kids...? I dunno... you might want to get an older travel trailer that sleeps 6???

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Planning the design

Postby wayner » Wed May 11, 2005 6:59 pm

WELL WELL WELL Heres a new twist on things I know most people that own tear drops have a smallish automobile BUT how about this TWO teardrops one behind the other one for the children one for the adults.A few years ago i decided to phone the ministry of transportation and i asked away ,I have a FORD extendicab with a 5.7 liter engine a 18 foot JAYCO trai :cry: ler and a 18 foot FLAMINGO inboard outboard. GUESS what. Thats right no trouble . Hooked them all up and off we went fishing and camping PS dont know how many motorists i PI__ed off but then i was on holidays and who cared LOL LOL :cry: :twisted: :thumbsup: OH by the way i just cut a window in the front of my daughters 8 ft teardrop LOL LOL
wayner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Salivanto » Wed May 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Mike:
> You could, in theory, go all the way to the door.
> But then you might feel claustrophobic.

That's my question. When does "as deep as you want" end and "might feel claustrophobic" begin? What's the deepest that cabinet can be before you start to feel claustrophobic? How far up the body do some of the longer cabinets go in various tears (not necessarily the generic benroy)? The trailer for two shows the (closed) drawers extending over two and a half feet into the cabin. That's around mid-thigh or crotch range.

> I would not try to put 5 people in a teardrop,
> and especially not an 8' teardrop, which is
> what the benroy is.

I was thinking of something bigger than the one here. It looks like you found my post in the member designs section. I'll reply to the rest over there.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 12, 2005 6:19 am

Salivanto wrote:That's my question. When does "as deep as you want" end and "might feel claustrophobic" begin?

For everyone it's different. I'm not claustrophobic at all, so last summer I experimented with different heights in my weekender. I came up with about 17-19" being the most comfortable height for the cabinets. Look at this drawing. I've got the 17" cabinet height, and even made the cabinet a bit deeper. I don't think I would go any deeper than that though...

If you need still more, then I would add a small shelf at the top of the cabinet!

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed May 25, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ScottH61 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 pm

For everyone it's different. I'm not claustrophobic at all, so last summer I experimented with different heights in my weekender. I came up with about 17-19" being the most comfortable height for the cabinets. Look at this drawing. I've got the 17" cabinet height, and even made the cabinet a bit deeper. I don't think I would go any deeper than that though...

If you need still more, then I would add a small shelf at the top of the cabinet!

Mike, what is the 19" measurement towards the rear of the trailer? I can't quite make it out. Could you post another copy of this, but
maybe using a smaller font to clear it up a little? Thanks for the ideas, drawings and everything!! :-)
~ Scott
ScottH61
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Fri May 13, 2005 1:43 am

Mike (or whoever) can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it means 19in radius on that part of the curve. It says "R 19" for that dimension, then the curve opens up to a 48 inch radius.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2005 3:30 am

Yes, Rocky is exactly right!!!

And not to worry... I'll have a separate drawing for cutting out the wall profile under the appropiate step... This one was just to give you an idea where I am headed... Thanks for asking though. I am glad someone is looking at the drawings! :o

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2005 5:20 am

I ran the numbers thru the spreadsheet again... It looks like the tongue weight is approx 140#. Manageable for most vehicles! :o

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri May 13, 2005 5:38 am

Mike,

140# sounds good to me. Of course I have a 4x4 Tacoma. Great work.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby ScottH61 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:07 am

Ok! Thanks for clearing that up for me! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the drawings, and finally getting one started here!
~ Scott
ScottH61
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Generic Building Plans