Step 2: Building your 5x8 red trailer

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Trailer Frame

Postby boffingham » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi, Newbie here!

I am planning to build the generic Benroy using the 5x8 red trailer. I have read through the building plans on this site (very nice!) and have a question about cutting the cross members by 2"

Using a metal chop saw, cut each of the (4) cross members exactly 2� shorter. Drill new holes in the end, of each cross member.

From the pictures it looks like there is a tapped hole in the end of the cross member which is used to attach to the side frame. If I cut 2" from one end, will that not remove the tapped hole? I am sure I missing something?

Thanks!
boffingham
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Step 2: Building your 5x8 red trailer

Postby docmark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm

I just got my 5x8 redtrailer also. Is it necesary to cut it 2 inches? Im building a benroy style trailer. I want the inside to be 5 foot wide etc. Am I missing something?
docmark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:
The first modification Is to change the width of the trailer from 60” to 58”. This will allow the side walls to hang over the frame, thus hiding the frame.

If you prefer to build on top of the trailer rather than let the side walls hang over, then no, you don't have to cut the cross members.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby docmark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Im planning on having the sides hang down about 2 inches to cover the frame. But I see no reason to narrow the frame. I will secure the sides thru the wooden frame and the steel frame. I will have to use 5' 3/4" length luan and frp length sideways to cover the top.
docmark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

If you have clearance to the wheels, and don't mind a little extra waste when skinning the top, you should be able to do that.

The original design was intended to use 5' wide aluminum to skin the top.

Have fun!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby docmark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Im going with FRP on the roof, sealed and painted sides.
docmark
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Generic Building Plans