'Generic for Two' Profile

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

'Generic for Two' Profile

Postby angib » Fri May 27, 2005 11:28 am

Here is an alternative profile for the generic trailer - it's loosely modelled on the original 'Trailer for Two' profile, so it's called the 'Generic for Two'.

The Generic Benroy profile is dotted in green for comparison.

The 'Generic for Two' is a bit less box-like than the Generic Benroy, has a body about 9 1/2 feet long, but doesn't have a huge amount more space, though the base of the galley is quite a bit deeper.

It's really an appearance thing - pick whichever you like to look of.

The extra length in the body does not mean that 4x10ft sheets of ply are needed - a simple butt-strap joint in the sides is perfectly acceptable.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 27, 2005 11:34 am

Are you going to share your cabinet layout for that profile? Spar locations? You know, the stuff I need to build it with? Dimensions?

Just wondered.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri May 27, 2005 11:35 am

Here is the external geometry of the 'Generic for Two':

As you can see, the shape is made up of just two arcs and some straight lines. The centre of the rear arc is off the bottom of the sheet of ply, so a temporary extension will need to be nailed on.

Because the front is rounded, it can become a problem to define where 'the front' is, so instead a measurement datum is used - all longitudinal measurements start from zero at the front face of the trailer frame.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Fri May 27, 2005 11:43 am

And here is the internal layout of the 'Generic for Two' showing cabinet positions, spar locations, etc:

The cabinet locations are virtually identical to those in the 'Generic Benroy', except the base of the galley is deeper.

To stop your shins from getting bashed on the bit of floor sticking out behind the galley cupboards, the bit of floor is hinged at the back of the cupboards and folds down when camping.

The flap can be held up with a couple of door bolts but a pair of lugs on the hatch frames also pass under the flap when the hatch is lowered, locking the floor up.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 27, 2005 11:46 am

Very nice Andrew...

It must be cold, wet and raining over there... either that, or you have your computer outside in the backyard... :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri May 27, 2005 5:15 pm

Yup, cold, wet and raining - it started halfway through my bike ride this morning. :cry:

Better weather is promised for the weekend, so you can hope in vain for the second alternative Generic profile - I've got motorbike photographing to do! I will post a link here, just so as folks can see there's worse addictions than teardrops.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby teardreamer » Sat May 28, 2005 2:42 pm

The photos aren't showing up...
EDIT: now they are for some reason...

Can you get aluminum sheets long enough to do 9.5 feet sides? (probably a dumb question, but I'm new to TDs).
teardreamer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Sat May 28, 2005 3:03 pm

You can get almost any size you want, it just becomes a matter of cost and local availability. I am using 4x10 sheets on my tear.
toypusher
Site Admin

Seeing pics

Postby Longrifle Joe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:03 pm

I can't make those photos come up on my puter. What program do I need to use? I click on the little red "x" and then on "show picture"---it doesn't do anything.

Thanks---

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Seeing pics

Postby madjack » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:10 pm

Longrifle Joe wrote:I can't make those photos come up on my puter. What program do I need to use? I click on the little red "x" and then on "show picture"---it doesn't do anything.

Thanks---

Joe

LRG...either you have a security setting, set to high on your browser(most probable) or a possibility of a popup blocker issue
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Boy I don't know how I missed this posting. I had Andrew do an overlay for me of the trailer for 2 and Benroy. ( Thank you again Andrew ). I been leaning toward a trailer for 2 front and a Benroy rear. I like the profile of the trailer for 2, but with my back I don't want to be leaning when preparing meals.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Andrew,

That looks great, I have request though when you get time. I like the profile for the Generic for two but would like to go 5' tall, 6' wide and 12'long. Can you modify your plans for me. I have tried using Sketchup but suck at it when I try to add the details.

No hurry on this as I won't be able to start till next spring.

Thank You, Thank You...grovel, grovel :worship: :worship:
8) :lol:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm

Rick,

If you send me an email, there's more of a chance that I won't forget - you'll get added to my folder of requests.

Andrew
angib(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Longrifle Joe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Due to a family health problem, I got a little sidetracked; apparently my puter did too. Added some Ram and Memory and Lo and Behold---all your really neat drawings came right up. I really like your drawings, and i think a 9' trailer makes a lot of sense for those of us who like to rerally stretch out.

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:23 pm

That looks very similar to my original design.

I ended up making the back a little rounder to give me more galley space.
rainjer
King Koleman

Return to Generic Building Plans