Frame question

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Frame question

Postby Keith.B.Nimble » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm

The plan for the Generic Benroy is a 5 x 8. 5' inside would fit a full queen size mattress. So why cut the 2" on the frame? Why not just make the spars 2" longer and have the full 5' interior?

Keith
Keith.B.Nimble
Teardrop Builder

Postby parnold » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm

If you're building on a 5x8 trailer, the walls might then rub against the wheels?

I know my 4' wide does not have room for 4' 4" wide box.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Keith.B.Nimble » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I figured that may be the reason why, I just needed to verify. Would it be just as easy to cut the axle and extend it 2"? I REALLY want a full queen size mattress.

Keith
Keith.B.Nimble
Teardrop Builder

Postby parnold » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:56 pm

Cutting axles and lengthening is not an easy feat.

You will find that because there is no "edge" to the mattress, you actually get more room out of a mattress in the tear. In the middle of a room, you often stay away from the "edge" of the mattress so as not to fall off. Can't do that in a tear.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get an extra few inches out of your mattress.

On the other hand.. there is a common saying here.. "build what you want".
parnold
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Mine is 60 inches inside, actually 60 1/8in inside. It's because I used 5X5 baltic birch, I only cut the sheets on 2 sides to insure that the sides would be parallel. If you are making a custom frame, you can specify the width of your axles.

You can also add a custom axle to a pre-made frame. It's the long way to do it but you can do it. The axle is most of the cost (wheels & tires are the rest) you may as well get a custom frame made at that point.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Generic Building Plans