welding primer

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Re: welding primer

Postby PCO6 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Squigie - I agree. Welding what you can barely see is NOT easy! :cry:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 pm

PCO6 wrote:Squigie - I agree. Welding what you can barely see is NOT easy! :cry:

Because you don't have the blue lenses, That was one mentors secret,
Another trick that's so easy when your watching.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PCO6 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 am

twisted lines wrote:
PCO6 wrote:Squigie - I agree. Welding what you can barely see is NOT easy! :cry:

Because you don't have the blue lenses, That was one mentors secret,
Another trick that's so easy when your watching.

I haven't tried it in about 30 years and I have to admit I didn't use them. I don't remember what the guy who showed me was wearing … but he was a LOT better at it than I was!

I've had better results with aluminum soldering lately but it's not something I do often enough to get good at.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 am

As for the Oxy/Acetylene and Aluminum that is magic I don't even try :frightened
Don't know 'bout magic, dam tricky for sure ! :)

The key was to use the exact same material for the filler rod. He took a new sheet and cut of 1/8" lengths of it
Now, this I had to try! :twisted:

.... Or at least have fun failing. :thinking:
I am having fun! Making mistakes, figuring out what it was and improving upon. ;)

I totally blew out a corner and yesterday, for a few hours, attempted to fill it back up (repair). Came real close to success twice but just let it get too hot and lost my filler. I found being on the spot to build up to get up to temp, then moving off (yet still on the aluminum) a short distance really helped. As I figured out distances to approach and back away the fill was building nicely. I came close to getting the corner fixed before I stopped for the day. I grinder the corner, sanded a bit and looked fairly good. I'll go back at it today and see if I can complete it and take a picture of my first attempt at filling a space in aluminum.

I also want to try to make up some rods from the stock I have and try that! That sounds like a great idea! Since I don't have a shear, I my breakout the bandsaw and give that a go..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Generic Building Plans