Step 0: Visualizing the design

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Postby SteveH » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:10 pm

Mike,

This is what I have, but it wasn't finished completely when I took it.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:38 pm

Oh yea, that's nice. I like it...

Do you also have storage on the other side of those cabinets, in the cabin area? How deep are your galley cabinets and how deep are your cabin cabinets?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:11 pm

Mike,

My galley cabinets are 9" deep, and my cabin cabinets are 14" deep. I'll get some better pictures soon as the ones I have are construction photos.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:30 pm

Mike, (or anyone else)

I know this is designed for a 5x8, but was wondering if you think that a 5x9 would look strange without increasing the height. I tried playing around with this on paper and just can't see to get the visualization that I need to decide. Also, would the axle have to be moved to get the correct tongue weight (I'm talking a 5x9 frame also, so there would not be an overhang)?

The proportions just don't seem right to make it look good!

Help!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:18 pm

but was wondering if you think that a 5x9 would look strange without increasing the height

Kerry,

My trailer, the one in my avitar above, is 5 X 9', so that will give you a refference about proportions.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:18 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the information. Your avatar (and I looked at your build pics too) look alot better proportionaly than what I had one paper. I guess I must have gotten the scale wrong or something. How far from the back of the frame did you put your axle and what kind of tongue weight did it give you?
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:33 pm

toypusher wrote:Mike, (or anyone else)

I know this is designed for a 5x8, but was wondering if you think that a 5x9 would look strange without increasing the height. I tried playing around with this on paper and just can't see to get the visualization that I need to decide. Also, would the axle have to be moved to get the correct tongue weight (I'm talking a 5x9 frame also, so there would not be an overhang)?

The proportions just don't seem right to make it look good!

Help!

A 5x9 trailer with a sidewall profile of 4x9 is still reasonable. I've done 2D plans for that in the past, and it just looks like a stretched benroy.

I don't have any of those plans handy any more, but I'll keep my eyes open. If push comes to shove, and I find I have a few minutes before work starts, I'll throw together a model for you some day!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:35 pm

Thanks, Mike. I would appreciate it. I thing that Steve's build gives me a real good idea of what it looks like compared to the 8 footer.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:09 pm

toypusher wrote:Steve,

Thanks for the information. Your avatar (and I looked at your build pics too) look alot better proportionaly than what I had one paper. I guess I must have gotten the scale wrong or something. How far from the back of the frame did you put your axle and what kind of tongue weight did it give you?

Kerry,

My axle is mounted so the hubs are at 39" from the rear of the trailer, and with the tongue box loaded with chairs, an awning, carpet for the entrance door, 2 jack stands, extention cord, and blocks, the tongue weighs 165 pounds. The total weight is about 1250. As far as proportions are concerned, keep in mind that in apperance, the trailer is 50" tall because I put the walls on the top of the frame and then ran the aluminum down to cover the sides of the frame.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

need a new keyboard?

Postby backwoodsman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:36 pm

toypusher wrote:Steve,

Steve,
Have you rubbed the letters off of your keyboard answering the same questions over and over yet?:R
Greg
You don't know what you don't know!
backwoodsman
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:58 pm

Hey Greg,

Would you believe I have to keep going out to the garage and measure it because I forget? :lol: The sad thing is, it's true. Someone on here said they thought they had halfheimers...I must have it also.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:06 pm

I haven't gotten to that point yet. I just have a bonifide case of CRS.

(Can't Remember Sh*t!) :wacky
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:26 pm

toypusher wrote:Thanks, Mike. I would appreciate it. I thing that Steve's build gives me a real good idea of what it looks like compared to the 8 footer.

Okay, I did the model of the 5x9 this morning... where do you want me to send it?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:28 pm

Mike,

Send it to me, you have my email, and or post here for everybody?

PS: I cut out a cardboard of the 9 foot by 4 foot high profile and put it up on the side of my Cubby for a look. It still looks awful long and low. I think that making it 54" high or so would dramatically change that. I have to find another piece of 9 foot long cardboard to make it the 6 inches high before I can decide, I guess.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:53 pm

Okay Kerry,

Here's your idea for all the world to see! ;)

http://www.mikenchell.com/generic_benro ... enroy1.wrl
http://www.mikenchell.com/generic_benro ... enroy2.wrl
http://www.mikenchell.com/generic_benro ... enroy3.wrl

Mike...

P.S. Large bandwidth is recommended... these are huge files...
Last edited by mikeschn on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Generic Building Plans