Benroy trailer with a front cargo area

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Benroy trailer with a front cargo area

Postby gmonahan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:44 am

I am new to the site and would like to build a generic benroy. I would like it to be 5x8 and the question I have is on the frame. Has anyone built it on a longer frame say 10 feet so there could be storage on the front to Carry a motorbike etc or does the axle end up being in the way of the door? Any feed back would be appreciated!!! if I go with a red trailer is the axle in the correct location? I will have a simple galley?
gmonahan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Benroy trailer with a front cargo area

Postby angib » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 am

Have you got an enormous tow vehicle that can carry a huge tongue weight? That's what you need.

If the trailer is safe to tow without any weight on the cargo area (and it seems dangerous to build it any other way) the wheels will be near the normal position relative to the body. But then, of any load you put on the cargo area, about half will end up on the hitch and only about half on the trailer wheels. That's no problem if your tow vehicle and its hitch can withstand this, but that's not a given.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby low-n-slow » Sat May 02, 2015 12:08 am

I am building a 5x10 Benroy and am planning on putting a Class II hitch on the back so I can put my dirt bike on the back for some of my trips. Obviously, if you were to build something like this, you would have to be cautious as to the balance and loading.posting.php?mode=reply&f=34&t=60330# It all depends on how heavy of a motorcycle you plan on putting on your trailer too. I like where your heads at though! get out and go camp and ridehttp://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mo ... 4&t=60330#
Fly, Ride, Camp...

Jason
low-n-slow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sat May 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Putting a motorbike on the back is not a great idea as it will try to start the trailer weaving. The only way round that is to move the trailer wheels well back which means that the trailer will have a very high tongue weight when the motorbike isn't there - so the same problem as loading a motorbike on the front, that the tow vehicle must be able to support a big tongue weight.

Expecting to be able to do this with a standard trailer kit is asking for trouble.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Generic Building Plans