replacing broken Harbor Freight leaf-springs

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

replacing broken Harbor Freight leaf-springs

Postby roymeo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:48 pm

I just never pays to look under the trailer--always find something wrong.*

Looks like we're down to a single leaf on one side of our ~2003 Harbor Freight trailer base for Shorty.
I'll have to look up the details on this, but looking for any other hints on what details we need to gather (20.5" to center for the bolts, axle carrying weight) and on where we ought to look for replacements.

(insert pics here)

* The wear on the u-bolts tells me this has been broken for a while and there's actually not been enough inspecting going on.
roymeo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: replacing broken Harbor Freight leaf-springs

Postby rkanz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

I have a Harbor Freight and a Northern Tool trailer. Both use the same spring. You can try Northern Tool. If I replace my springs I will use these.

https://compact-camping-concepts-2.mysh ... iler-parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 am

Might want to look here for springs...

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Traile ... rings.aspx

Suggest if you are replacing the you do both....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roymeo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for the links!
Definitely replacing both while we've got it up on blocks, even if the one set of 15-year-old leaf-springs is perfectly good. ;)

Looking at the Compact-Camping-Concepts page, this says 31" springs, but the current ones we have have 20.5" to center bolts, I don't think that little bit of metal for hanging is going to make up 9.5". Ah, you're saying that CCC is what you'd use. ?

Northern Tool trailer leaf-springs are at https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-towing+trailer-axle-parts+trailer-springs

Looks like the only set at eTrailer that might be right is the 20-3/8" one. Maybe I need to measure that again and see if that's what we've got rather than 20.5".
roymeo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rkanz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

I don’t see a direct replacement spring, 20.5” x 2” wide, on the NT web page. You may need to call them. I assume HF could also supply a replacement. The CCC springs include new spring hanger hardware which must be bolted to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby roymeo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Measured tonight... 1 3/4" wide leaf is all that will fit in those brackets. Does look more like 20 3/8 than 20.5 though. Going to take a bit more research work. Thanks.
roymeo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:44 am

• Does the spring replacement kit from Compact Camping Concepts include the new hangers already welded to that black frame piece, as is pictured in the photo? If so, then that alone makes the kit worthwhile, since that is a part that you don't want to fail...a jig-welded production part is likely to be stronger than one pieced together at home. I welded and bolted my hanger assemblies at home, a first project for my fledgling welding skills?, and though I had them checked by more than one professional, I still worry about their durability, even after 5k+ miles and 4 years. A pre-fabricated assembly like the one shown, would be well worth buying, especially since it is made by a company used to dealing in the off-road sector.
  • longer springs on home-built hanger assemblies.jpg
    longer springs on home-built hanger assemblies.jpg (191.27 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
    many hours were spent welding and re-welding the assemblies until they were "perfect"; longer springs like these are found everywhere, and are in multiple weight ratings
  • I upgraded my springs from 22.5" long 4-leaves, to 25.25" long 3-leaves, and the trailer rode smoother over rough roads than before, though the probable weight rating for the original set was around 1250 lbs, at best, and the new springs are rated at 3000 lbs (on my 3500 lb axle). Longer springs do ride better over all surfaces, and especially so, off-road, which is why the 31" pictured springs are longer than most, coming from a company catering to off-road camping/trailer building fans.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roymeo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 pm

And it looks like this'll fit right in with no extra futzing:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Universal-Group/SP-169275.html

Woot!
roymeo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets