Axel over springs

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axel over springs

Postby Tukanu » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:22 am

I realize this question has been asked a thousand times, but I am looking for opinions about my specific suspension.

My frame seems to be fairly light…no more so than a HF 4x8. I would guess it is about 200# because I can lift a corner. The welder estimated the capacity at 1,200 lbs. There are two leafs. There is 4 ½” of travel up to the frame. 3/8” U-bolts hold the axel in place. There is a post on the axel that mates with the hole in the spring. With the weight of the sidewalls and floor in place, there is no movement in the springs…even when I stand over the axel and jump up and down.

The build, so far, also seems to be light. I am sure it will be between 600# 700# (with chassis) when complete. Add a hundred lbs when fully loaded, and I would still be under 800#.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my axel and spring.

The bottom of the sidewalls is 19” off the ground. Flipping the axel would drop the body a few inches, but would reduce the travel to the fame down to about 2”.
Here are my options:
1. Do nothing and live with the high clearance.
2. Flip it and hope the u-bolts don’t snap.
3. Beef up the u-bolts and plate.
4. Finish the built and duck-tape a raw egg above the axel to see if there is enough travel to smash the egg .
Attachments
DSCF0350.JPG
DSCF0350.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Springs.JPG
Springs.JPG (26.25 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Building lil' Woody: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71953
Tukanu
Teardrop Builder

Re: Axel over springs

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 am

Our builds are completely different, yet I remember being in a similar quandary during my build. I felt like the springs were very stiff and sat too high. As it turned out, by the time it was finished and loaded for a trip, I actually needed the 'extra' hight that was actually perfect in the end.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Axel over springs

Postby twisted lines » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm

I flipped mine but I also have shackles and different springs with eyes on both ends that may give you a in between height but another hassle and added expense :thinking:
5.5 X 10 Flatback Benroy in a pile,
And it's growing!
twisted lines
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets