Snowbear 5.5x10 Landscape Trailer For Teardrop Project?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Snowbear 5.5x10 Landscape Trailer For Teardrop Project?

Postby sandman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Hey Guys,

A buddy of mine who used to own a mobile pressure washing business has a 5 month old Snowbear 5.5x10 Landscape Trailer that he is offering me for real cheap. He is going out of business and has two trailers and it looks like it might be perfect for my teardrop/cycle hauler that I am building. It looks like new and has new bearings. Here is a pic of the exact trailer at Home Depot where he bought this very trailer. It is heavy duty and constructed very well. I wonder if I could cut the tube rails off without affecting the rigidity of the trailer frame? Do you see any reason why this would NOT work? The trailer has removeable bolt-on fenders, 13" wheels, and the cargo deck is in perfect shape since he just installed new plywood on the outer sides.

I was thinking about cutting the tube sides off up past where the teardrop would be and leave the rest of the sides to help provide security for the motorcycle. Snowbear doesn't have any info on their website about the trailer and my buddy can't remember what the load capacity is. If this will serve my needs, I can pick it up for $200 and it currently sells for $999.00. What do you guys thnk? My teardrop will only take up 7 feet of the cargo deck leaving me 3 feet for the bike.
Last edited by sandman on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:49 pm

I really like the Snowbear trailers. My smaller Snowbear has a 1500# capacity and has a lot more than that in it. And you can't beat the price.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Snowbears are excellent trailers and should work well for your project...they are heavy but you are carrying a bike and I asume you have plenty of tow vehicle to pull it...and like Jim said...ya can't beat the price.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 pm

As soon as you take that tubing off you might want to get part of the deckoff too. A lot of extra weight there. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm

GO FOR IT!!!! :thumbsup:

And a removable tongue too....BONUSS!!! 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:16 pm

I saw the 3rd pic and thought to myself, "Hmm that brand new trailer has some rust on it." Then I noticed that it was a shopping cart!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sandman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:00 pm

Cool deal. Now that the Teardrop Builder Brain Trust has spoken it words of wisdom, I called my buddy and told him I would take the trailer. I am super excited to get such a nice trailer. Now I have to sell my brand new 5x8 Red Trailer to get the funds for the Snowbear Trailer. I placed a For Sale here on the forum so if any of you want a brand new Red Trailer for a bargain, go here to check:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14086

AsianFlava-That's funny about the rust..lol. I ran to Home Depot yesterday and snapped some pics of the trailer in their parking lot since the trailer I am buying is two hours away. There was a bunch of shopping carts everywhere and yes they were rather rusty..lol.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:35 pm

That one looks large compared to the other Snowbear utility and landscape models, but the 4'x8' utility units have a 2000 lb axle/GVWR and about 440 lb empty weight - a bunch of which must be the sides, full steel deck, and ramp. I doubt load capacity will be a problem.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets