10 x 5 generic benroy with extra room...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

10 x 5 generic benroy with extra room...

Postby aaannddyyy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:43 am

hi there every1,
just a newby from down under with an idea of making a 10 x 5 generic benroy,
but i want to put a box on top (like the 1 used in the car top camper from yesteryears) but was wondering if any1 knows were i can find more detailed plans from the ones thar i can find which are just a few old photos and an article...
i want to take away a few ppl and want an adittion for more sleeping with out tents...
i was thinking on an idea of also turning it in to something like a second room on the side of a tear drop with a fold over top and attaching some walls with a camp bed...
not to sure how this would work due to adding a bit of weight up high,
i could even build it some parts slide underneath,
but i can also know you have to keep the weight down on a tear drop..
if i used material sides in stead of solid sides that could work
i like the idea and just thought ild throw the idea out there....
hope it makes sense to you all... :?

thanks guys in advance... you have a great site here with tonnes of info...keep up the good work.... :thumbsup: :applause:

andy...
aaannddyyy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:24 am

Image Andy:

I am sure there will be persons from the forum come along and help you. :)

There are a few with design skills that are outstanding here.

If you have any URL's or pictures of your desires ... they are oh so welcome
to help people formalize what you are wanting to know about?

Glad you found us...

Check back later on today ...
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby angib » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Here's something similar I drew a while ago, but I don't think it's been built.

It's quite difficult to do - certainly a lot more work than simply building a bigger trailer in the first place and it won't be much lighter.

Everyone starts out wanting to "squeeze a quart into a pint pot", but really that's not what a teardrop is for. If you want a medium-sized trailer, build a medium-sized trailer.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey to ya from way up here. 8) There is a reason we just love the pictures.

If I understand you---you want the kind of upper fold out that was used on cars right. It would be interesting to see that. Perhaps you can make a fold out floor extending over the door of the TD and a ladder to get up. A tent modified on top might work. You just need a close up type bag somehow attached to keep it all together.

And make the top of the TD flat in the middle.

Andrews always right about these things. It sounds like a struggle to get up high when a side tent and extra mattress will do the same thing. Unless you like getting high. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: 10 x 5 generic benroy with extra room...

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:02 pm

aaannddyyy wrote:hi there every1,
just a newby from down under with an idea of making a 10 x 5 generic benroy,
but i want to put a box on top (like the 1 used in the car top camper from yesteryears) but was wondering if any1 knows were i can find more detailed plans from the ones thar i can find which are just a few old photos and an article...
i want to take away a few ppl and want an adittion for more sleeping with out tents...
i was thinking on an idea of also turning it in to something like a second room on the side of a tear drop with a fold over top and attaching some walls with a camp bed...
not to sure how this would work due to adding a bit of weight up high,
i could even build it some parts slide underneath,
but i can also know you have to keep the weight down on a tear drop..
if i used material sides in stead of solid sides that could work
i like the idea and just thought ild throw the idea out there....
hope it makes sense to you all... :?

thanks guys in advance... you have a great site here with tonnes of info...keep up the good work.... :thumbsup: :applause:

andy...

Hi Andy,

I can see your reasoning for wanting to elevate the tent. Looks like ya just need a fold out platform on the top, with hatch in the middle of the teardrop. When the fold out platform is folded closed it can double as the cover for the hatch. I like those rooftop tents too. 8)

( I forgot for a minute that the reason to have a teardrop was so I wouldn't have to set up the tent anymore.) :lol:

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby aaannddyyy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:10 am

hi there again...great answers thanks heaps...
i want to use it as a second room so i can get dressed and have a place to sit out of the weather cuz winters in melbournes country are pretty cold... and i just want a place to relax and to have the conveniance of being able to take others camping as 3 guys dont fit in a tear drop that well :thumbdown: ...lol....
i just wont something that i can attatch to the roof and put it on and off as i please...but i dont wont to sleep on the roof(well its not for me anyway) just have a little room on the side with tent sides and a solid roof...

im building a generic tear drop that has inclosed wheels....im not sure if it will work but i think it should be ok....
i want it to be a small-medium size trailer...as im making it a 5x10 footer and want the 5 foot to be inside of the wheels so its actually a 6x10...(im making it to fit snuggly behind my 2002 ford falcon) as my falcon is only a few inchs over 6 foot wide it should fit nicely....fingers crossed...

but im also making the front area for storage...so the first foot or so will be storage at the top of my bed head...
and im also thinking of putting a door like the jim dandy sports man but thinking two doors will be too heavy so im bout to scrap that idea.....

but i also want a front storage box to be built in to the tear drop and maybe use it it to store my little generator and batteries in seperate comparments....

i am also thinking of using a two battery set up with all the basics.... to cater for a tv, small frezzer (to freeze meat for those extended stays away), stereo, and a few other little gizmos and was thinking that a freezer would need its own battery so thats why i thought of a two battery set up.....

i know i ask a lot of my little tear :worship: but it has to be able to multi task...lol...
should marry it after ive finished it....but it needs to be set up right as i plan to go away for a few weeks at a time and need to be stocked up and prepared...so i need it to have every thing..(well not every thing) but you get what im on about....

well thats enough out of me, cuz if i dont stop here ill be here all night...lol....
well catch ya guys
u have all been a great help already...

thanks heaps

andrew
aaannddyyy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets