Welding Help

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby apratt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:30 pm

I would not do it!!! You take a chance of overheating the house wires and burn the house down!! I would not risk it. Just add another 30 amp breaker, some wires and plug-in. Not that teriblely expensive.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Yes I know I'm not supposed to do this...but...my friend brought over his buzz box stick welder today so I could weld up my trailer. It needs a 30 amp 115 circuit (so the plug is wrong). Assuming a fella is smart enough not to burn down his house, and the welder is rated at 26 amp, do you figure I could swap out a 20 amp circuit recepticle to a 30 amp recepticle for a short time? I have a 50 amp 220 circuit to my shop, but no 220 welder...constructive thoughts? Alternatively, I guess a fella could rent a generator for day...Having it welded in a shop is not in the cards due to cost and...quite frankly...I want to do it myself!!!

I've done it, it's not a good idea but if you weld in short increments it is do-able. You could also take it from the 50amp circuit if you're careful.
But I didn't say that.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:08 am

Thanks Guys...I wasn't worried about burning the house down, I was more worried about popping breakers (Nitetimes...BTW...I agree it would work but a fella ought not!!!)...Shucks, a cheap guy like myself has to improvise.

The solution is in what I forgot...when I put in the 50 amp 220 service about ten years ago, it was to give enough juice for my wife's pottery kiln. I had 30 amp service to the box then, but changed out the breakers and the box, and ran a parallel line when I upgraded to 50 amps. The 30 amp line is still stubbed out...a bit of box work and a new recepticle and I should be in business.

Thanks...Juneaudave
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:33 am

Juneaudave wrote:Thanks Guys...I wasn't worried about burning the house down, I was more worried about popping breakers (Nitetimes...BTW...I agree it would work but a fella ought not!!!)...Shucks, a cheap guy like myself has to improvise.

The solution is in what I forgot...when I put in the 50 amp 220 service about ten years ago, it was to give enough juice for my wife's pottery kiln. I had 30 amp service to the box then, but changed out the breakers and the box, and ran a parallel line when I upgraded to 50 amps. The 30 amp line is still stubbed out...a bit of box work and a new recepticle and I should be in business.

Thanks...Juneaudave

Dave, I would be more afraid of burning down the house than popping breakers. If you had sub'ed a 30 amp breaker it wouldn't pop. But your wire is probably not rated for that much current. That's why Nitetimes said short increments. So you don't overheat your wires. Not a good idea. :no:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby wuzuki » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:13 am

when i welded mine frame i just turned the frame on its side no up or down weld. easier :lol:
wuzuki
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets