TSC Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

TSC Frame

Postby Creamcracker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:24 am

As I saw mentioned elsewhere in this forum the TSC trailer is 49inches wide --- how do you reconcile this with the 48inches width on the wood panels. I'm not so much thinking about the floor but rather the roof skin.? The other thing is that I don't like the squared off fenders on TSC trailers -- has anyone removed (cut off ) those fenders and replaced them with round ones?
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby surveytech » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:21 am

I didnt like the square fenders either so I cut them off and built my own.

As far as the width, I placed my roof between the walls instead of on top of the wall. I used glue blocks to make the joint and then covered it with wood trim.
more pics in the album

Hope that helps.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Nice fenders, surveytech!

Postby cuyeda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:02 pm

surveytech,

Nice personal touch with the custom fenders, nice job! I looked at your album pictures, and is that a removable galley, or was it just your build process. I liked the idea of having a removable/useable galley.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kens » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Hey whats wrong with square fenders ? Just leave them on and build over them. :)
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Re: Nice fenders, surveytech!

Postby surveytech » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:10 am

cuyeda wrote:surveytech,

Nice personal touch with the custom fenders, nice job! I looked at your album pictures, and is that a removable galley, or was it just your build process. I liked the idea of having a removable/useable galley.

Thanks for the kudos.
Yes it is a removeable galley. I needed a double duty trailer, one to camp in but also one to take to the store to pick up "stuff". (we never have enough stuff). The tow vehicle is a PT Cruiser and while it does hold its share of "stuff" I dont relish the thought of throwing 20 bags of Cypress mulch in the car. So I built the trailer so that all of the insides are removeable.

Kens,
not a thing wrong with the flat top fenders. I had planned on leaving them on the trailer for awhile and build my wood fenders later. But they wound up being in the way when I tried to paint the walls. So off they came!
Probably would make a good liner if you build some wooden jobbies. But I didnt use them in mine.

Walter
Last edited by surveytech on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surveytech
Donating Member

Dimension?

Postby Creamcracker » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:59 am

Hi Ken, I see what you did with your squared off fenders. That looks pretty good. What is the width of your teardrop? Because of that extra width what did you use to skin the roof? How did you attach floor to chassis since it must be sitting above the frame rather than in the angle iron? Thanks for any response.
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Kens » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Philip thanks for asking. What I did for the floor I built a 2x2 wood frame inside and outside the frame. Bolting horizonal thru the frame and skinning with 1/2 ply on top. The width is 60"side to side. The top is 3/16 chi ply 4x8 sheets placed side ways alot of waste but cheap. Sides are 3/16 then 3/4 frame, foam insulation,3/16 so inside is alittle under 5ft HAVE FUN KEN
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby DougH » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:48 pm

Your trailer looks nice. I just stopepe by a TSC store today and looked at trailers. They did have a 4 x8 no floor for $319.00 and I was also wondering about the width. The 5 x 8 I measured was 59" wide but would have to order a no floor if possible. Like the idea of using a 4 x 8 and building wider cost wise. Any interior photos showing the wheel well covering?

How did you attach your tongue box, did it need additional supports?

Doug
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Doug if you check out page two in my album you will see my wheel well. All I did was bolt a plate of treated ply to the opening of the fender and seal. Tar inside of fender plate well also. I also glued carpet on inside. For the tongue box which is a old office file cabinet I bolted some angle coming out the front of the trailer. Thanks for asking. KEN ps cann't take pics it's put away for the winter.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby DougH » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanks, I missed that when I looked at your album the first time. Didn't realize the fenderwell was in the picture, just saw the flooring. Sure doesn't seem to intrude much on the interior at all.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:13 pm

The wheel well only comes in about 4" if memory serves me. Depending on wall thickness. Its down by your knees so I don't even notice it. KEN
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby DougH » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:28 pm

Kens I'm still trying to picture your floor frame. Is the extra 6 inches on the outside of the frame a separate structure? It is then bolted thru the sides to the main floor, and the only other connection is by the top deck? Did you insulate the floor? Any more photos?

Woud it hurt the structural integrity if I notched the L channel of the frame where the cross braces went to have full width braces? Guess I could also raise the floor by the height of the frame and then just build a full width floor.

What do you think about a Red Trailer frame and just bolting the full floor over the top? I would still build out over most of the tires, then still use the original fenders also as I like the look of having a small bit of the fender outside the trailer body for looks. Any thought on the Red Trailer versus the TSC?

Doug
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:38 pm

Your first paragraph is right. The bolts thru the frame lots of screws and glue. The 1/2" ply holds it all together well. I didn't use insulation on the bottom I figured about 6" of foam bedding would do the job and it does.
I don't know if I would notch the frame it might weaken it. But that depends where.
I never saw a red trailer. I bought a TSC because they are welded have a title were in stock and I could take home same day. KEN
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets