2+2 Trailer Cost

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

2+2 Trailer Cost

Postby windmillnut » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Well I got the estimate for building a frame from a trailer fabricator near where I live. http://www.deaglefab.com/ They build custom motorcycle trailers and other specialty trailers from a little shop in the "Fox Valley". The Wisconsinites out there will know where.

I want to build Andrew's 2+2 design http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm
and in 3/16" steel as shown in the drawings it would come to $1100. That is with a #2000 dexter axle with electric brakes. The price does not include paint or the wiring of the brakes or the trailer lights. The axle would be welded in place according to the design.

They also gave me the option of having it built in 1/4" aluminum. That would come to $1600 and the axle would be bolted in place.

As far as axle placement and the balance of the trailer is concerned I think I would just follow Andrew's plans and trust the balance will be close. If it looks like the balance may be off I would position the equipment in the trailer to adjust the balance. Heck a trailer can always use a tongue box.

Do you folks think the price is right or a bit high? I think the steel version is a good price. The fabricator said the weight of the aluminum trailer would be about half that of the steel. I do not think that alone warrants an additional $500.

As a little plug for the business they ship nation wide.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. I still have not found the little round windows.
What is lost, is found again... What is old, is new again...
Together, we can preserve the past, enjoy the present and leave a legacy for the future...
windmillnut
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:45 pm

windmillnut... That sounds a tad high for what I'd have to pay around here. But, every area is different... and I weld my own.

You could prolly save over half that cost by purchasing the steel and cutting it up yourself. You can, of course order any type axle you want. Then clamp it together and call a mobile welding service to come over and weld it for you in a couple hours. Around here they charge about $50. an hour. Just an idea for you. :)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby asianflava » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:17 am

That sounds high to me also. Are you providing the axle too?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:50 am

Podunkfla wrote:windmillnut... That sounds a tad high for what I'd have to pay around here. But, every area is different... and I weld my own.

You could prolly save over half that cost by purchasing the steel and cutting it up yourself. You can, of course order any type axle you want. Then clamp it together and call a mobile welding service to come over and weld it for you in a couple hours. Around here they charge about $50. an hour. Just an idea for you. :)

I weld my own also. If I needed a frame welded, I would follow Brick's advice!
Around here, farmers get stuff welded in the field. You should be able to locate a portable guy. You could look for a steel building erector. He would most likely have a portable setup.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Dale M. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 am

All my steel, axle parts and wheels cost me about $350.00.... Neighbor welded it up for $50.00....

Shop around, $1200 seems a bit high....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:16 am

I spent $750 on mine. But that included a welder and chop saw too.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Trailer Cost

Postby windmillnut » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice. ;) I will take it and look for another way.

Thanks,
Brian
What is lost, is found again... What is old, is new again...
Together, we can preserve the past, enjoy the present and leave a legacy for the future...
windmillnut
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets