Chassis Chice

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:46 am

Welcome Joe,
I hope by now you are nicely confused with what you want. ;) I am glad there are so many new experienced wood workers on board. I will look forward to your picture documentary and full discription of every detail. 8)

Why you ask? Cause #2 will be smaller and I still don't know how to do cabinetry. :roll: The truth is we all love pictures and truly enjoy new ideas.

5x8 cost more but if you find a camping partner someday, well elbows, knees and toes. 8) Make the length comfortable for your height.

Doug----9 more? :lol: :applause:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Longrifle Joe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:04 pm

Henry---

I live in Bedford, Ky. which is on old Hwy. 42 and is about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati. I am in Trimble County.

My original intent was to do a 4 X 8---then I thought I had decided on a 5 X 8. I will be going offroad meaning that I will be taking it into unpaved areas. I plan to use it in winter months as well as summer months and do not plan to share sleeping space with anyone other than a small dog from time to time.

In my mind, this means the unit must be of sturdy construction, compact enough to pull through tight places, well insulated, and absolutely watertight. Since I will be using a small pickup, I will have room in the tow vehicle for a good bit of storage. I like the aerodynamic looking design of the curved front of some of the designs I am seeing but have some questions about the resulting floor space. It was my understanding that the 4 X 8 could be constructed with 4 X 8 Plywood, but to have a full 8' floor for bed and kitchen, the sides would require a longer sidepiece, at least as I look at it. Can anyone elighten me on that?

Also---I notice that at least some of the commercial models have a gravel guard on the front made of what looks like the diamond pattern metal. Is this something one needs?

Lastly, is it worth the money to order plans like the ones offered by Kuffel for example? Are there other plans as detailed and good or better than the Kuffel plans as a comparable price?

Thank you all for your advice---I am taking it all in and i appreciate your time.

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Joe, you will find no better plans than the absolutely FREE Generic Benroy Plans at the top of this page...you do not have to use the Benroy profile but can adapt the plans to whatever you wish...and did I say they were FREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
The diamond plate is very nice for keeping rock dings off of your tear but is not absolutely needed.....
Our tear has a front bottom radius, is built of 4x8 ply and has a floor that is 92.5" long...we made the sleeping area 6'6" long and is 46.5" wide....
Did I mention that the Generic Benroy Plans(developed by members) are FREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Longrifle Joe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:55 pm

I live in Bedford, Ky----Trimble County----on old Hwy. 42 and about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati. Would love to connect with some of you in my general area----.

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Longrifle Joe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Did I ever say I am a bit new to the computer and "surfing" etc.? It took me several days to figure out those "links" at the top of the main page were things I could access.

So, I finally figured that out, and hip, hip, hooray----THERE were the free plans you mentioned. This is looking better and better----now I really think I can, think I can, think I can--------!

Hope you folk don't get tired of my questions and rattling on. When I was a child and first started trying to build something of wood (a "soapbox Derby Car----not for the big race in Ohio---just for the hills in my neighborhood) I first started by "starting"----saw here, nail there and sometimes the result was pretty comical. My Dad encouraged me to think it through, draw out plans, and FOLLOW them until it was necessary to make changes. Now I tend to worry the thing to death before I actually start on a project.

Several of you have mentioned pictures: I recently acquired a digital camera and have learned to download them to my computer. Once I start, I'll try to make a pictorial album/record of my work as well as written notes of what I have done and my thinking as I progressed through the project.

I saw an earlier thread where some person proposed building on a certain axle, and when potential problems were pointed out, he scrapped his plan to build at all due to what he called "negative comments". I can assure you that I don't mind "negative comments" as he referred to them---in fact, I will welcome your criticisms and suggestions. I see this as a learning experience as well as a fun project, and if someone saves me from a bad mistake I will feel I am way ahead of the game. PLEASE, don't hesitate to tell me what you think----I'm not afraid to learn something new or confess I messed up. I have a woodburning stove in my shop, and my "mistakes" make great kindling----(disposes of some of my more glaring foul-ups too).

Sooooo, I am re-looking at all the plans you have exposed me to, body designs/styles, and will get started before Christmas----I need to finish a bed I am building, clear out my shop, and get my frame built and prepared. I want to actually USE this thing before Easter---of course, since I sometimes have to stop and rethink where I am in my projects, it may be NEXT Thanksgiving before I get it done.

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Longrifle Joe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 pm

Did I say I was new to the computer? No idea how I got three of those things to post---but will try to do better.

Joe
Longrifle Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets