Harbor Freight Frame Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Harbor Freight Frame Question

Postby Creamcracker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Those of you who have used the HF trailer frame -- have you positioned the axle as in the directions---- under the spring hanger or did you reposition it between the spring hanger and the side rails?
Thanks Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby SkipperSue » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi Philip,
Check out this thread of my trailer axel follies. :R

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11635

After all my work of notching out the frame support and moving the axel on top, somehow I didn't mesure my fenderwells right, the tires would have bottomed out into the fenderwell if I was to hit a big bump. So insted of ripping out and redoing the fenderwells I just moved the axel back to the bottom of the spring like the trailer comes. I did however move the axel back aft.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Endo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:14 pm

I positioned mine below the springs (per the instructions). I wanted my trailer to sit higher because I tow with either a truck or a Jeep.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Ron » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Mine are mounted per the instructions.
Ron
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:15 pm

I've done both... both work equally well. I think it all depends on how high you want it off the ground.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Axle placement

Postby Creamcracker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks guys -- since this is my first build I'm going to go with the axle per HF instructions. It is a little high riding for my liking but from your comments I'll go as is.
Thanks
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Phil & Ningning » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:45 pm

It's really not a difficult mod. I used one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47077 for cutting the notches. You need to remember to reverse the center bolt on the leaf springs or it won't fit together properly.
My two cents worth is this... If you're not happy with it, change it.

Phil
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Postby boardhead » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:14 pm

My axle is positoned below the springs, per the HF instructions. My tow vehicle is a full size pickup.
boardhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby davel » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Mine is below the spings.
davel
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Be careful about notching the suspension angle iron and reversing the axle.. Be sure you have enough clearance left... With my tear, it used up half the space putting it down on it's wheels, and at 1,200 pounds, it bottomed out and damaged the trailer. I only had about 1.5-2" of space left. (I'll post the picture some time)... depending on the weight of the tear, I would really consider putting shocks on it...

It worked well (for me) for about 14,000 miles, then the tongue cracked when I hit a big pot hole and the trailer frame hit the axle very hard.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby brian_bp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:19 pm

Springs over the axle is "overslung" or "spring-over", springs under the axle is "underslung" or "spring-under". Leaf-spring axles are routinely converted between the two, with conversion kits available for axles that have welded-on spring perches, and I certainly don't see any problems doing this.

Notching the frame is another matter entirely... that kills a significant part of the strength of the frame, at a kind of important place. When people lower street rods (usually pickup trucks) and notch the frame to provide axle clearance, they also add reinforcement.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:18 am

brian_bp wrote:..........Notching the frame is another matter entirely... that kills a significant part of the strength of the frame, at a kind of important place. When people lower street rods (usually pickup trucks) and notch the frame to provide axle clearance, they also add reinforcement.

The frame proper does not have to be notched. Only the bracket that positions and holds the spings and axle in place on the frame.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby brian_bp » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm

toypusher wrote:The frame proper does not have to be notched. Only the bracket that positions and holds the spings and axle in place on the frame.

Well now that's another matter entirely... thanks for the explanation.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wok » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:32 am

i dont understand what needs to be notched... i just built mine up, and put the axel above the springs for a lower ride. do I need to do something else?
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby Phil & Ningning » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 am

Wok, the way you are set up right now could cause the axle to contact the spring hanger channel directly above it. The common correction for this is to relieve the metal directly above the axle to provide clearance for maximum suspension compression.
You will need to cut four pieces of metal (two per side) from the spring hangers. Each of the pieces cut out will measure about 2x4 inches. Make the cuts from the verticle flanges only, all the way up to the horizontal surface of the channel. Don't cut the horizontal surface, as this ties the ends of the spring hangers together.
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets