My scrap frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

My scrap frame

Postby Dean Buckley » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:45 pm

I found a scrapped trailer frame & axels. I need suggestions on how I can make this a sound frame. I know that I am going to re-inforce the bend in the front. I am also going to put a larger piece of steel in the back
Does anyone know how I can rid of all the rust? I have heard of a product that I can paint on to eliminate rust. On the cross beams, they are tacked on the top of the outside square beams. You can see these pictures in my gallery. I am also thinking about overhanging my deck about 1 or 2 inches out on both sides to get my 5' width. I really would like to make this trailer work. It was the right price. I'm having a hard time downloading pictures from my gallery and I've watche how others have been told to do it and I still can't geti ti to work. It's time for a cocktail. Help!
Keep on talking & I will Learn
Dean from the right coast
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Dean... By far the best way to get rid of the rust is sandblasting. None of the so called rust killers will make up for removing all the loose rust. Ospho, POR 15, and other similar rust treatments have their place as rust inhibitors; but getting the trailer clean is the best way. Just check around... you cam prolly find a welding shop, monument company or something near you that will blast it for you pretty cheap... then a good etching primer and Rustolium will do fine to keep it lookin good. Just my suggestions from experience. :thumbsup:

PS: If you have the time, one of those little handheld sandblasters from HF will do the job as long as you have a decent compressor:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92857
Or there is this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=9588
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Dale M. » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:49 pm

Pretty much agree with Podunkfla on the sandblasting....

Also it will expose any serious flaws that need repairs.

Be ready to prime after sandblasting because unless its very dry air around where you are, it will show surface rust within 24 hours....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

old frame

Postby Dean Buckley » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:51 am

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm trying not to put out too much money. I know that sandblasting is the best. If you look at my gallery photos, the weld joints from my cross beams are welded on top of the side pieces. Can I stilll put a deck on this frame the way it is? I really don't want to re-build the whole thing. I know that I will have to put some more supports and fix any of the cracks that might appear after sandblasting. Will this hinder how solid my attachment is to my deck? I was thinking of routing out a slight groove to compensate for the difference in elevation.

Thanks
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:39 am

Dean,

For an economical way of removing the rust, a cup wire brush in a cheap angle grinder will get down to mostly bare metal - though it might take two wire brushes and most of a day to do it. Eye and breathing protection is a must.

There are a couple of surprising details on your frame - the way the main rail has been cut out to fit the cross piece in 'Frame Weld 2' is a bit scary, but if it's lasted this long, it's probably OK.

Rather than rout out where the cross members go, why not find some ply that same thickness as the flanges of the cross members and cut strips to pack the main rails up, flush with the cross members?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: My scrap frame

Postby Endo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Dean Buckley wrote:Does anyone know how I can rid of all the rust? I have heard of a product that I can paint on to eliminate rust.

Here is a good product. It is costly, but I don't think you would need much for your frame. $26.00 a pint! I have used it a number of times with good results.

POR-15 CLICK HERE

From the web site:

POR-15® is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.

Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.

POR-15® is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated for prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Topcoating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.

I have used it on a few truck frames.
I cleaned up frame with a wire wheel, applied POR 15, top coated with Rustoleum
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Dean,
A wire brush and elbow grease or drill/grinder will get your rust. Prime the part you do as you go or you will keep doing it forever.

There are people here who build without a frame. The key is to tie the axle to the body in a safe package. :thumbsup:

Pictures.
Easiest way is to open another window, get your album (I have my album saved in Favorites/bookmark) click on the picture you want to post, highlight the URL and copy.

Go back to the post window, paste, highlight, and click on the Img button. this will allow you to put more than one picture in the same post without using the Edit feature.

There are other ways to post the picture including push the Img button, paste, close tags.

G
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Trailer come home

Postby Dean Buckley » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks All Good Ideas I just came back from P.P. boys for temp. light to snick the trailer home. I guess early in the morning or late at night! :twisted:

Dean :thumbsup: :frustrated:

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=17226[/img]
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:10 pm

I am not sure why that didn't work. It looks right to me, but I tend to miss detail.

Here ya go.

When I put a copy of Deans url up with mine it is the same. Why doesn't his work? The second picture is a copy of his link.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean Buckley » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:22 pm

here i go :thinking: how do i make my pic. smaller?

i need to do a lot of cleanup.
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark72 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Dean, Go to the important information page, there is a thread by Mad Jack on Help with posting pictures that includes links to some downloadable picture resizers.
Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Dean Buckley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:59 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks Mark

But I can't find it ?
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kevin A » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Dean Buckley wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thanks Mark

But I can't find it ?

Dean,
Here's the link, it was hiding in the "notices" folder...
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=10193
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Dean Buckley » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks Kevin :thumbsup: Now I will try This. :twisted:
Dean Buckley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean Buckley » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:49 am