Advice on Used Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Advice on Used Frame

Postby kiltedwon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm going to look at this trailer frame today and am wondering on any pertinent questions I might ask the seller. I'm considering this for a cub TD build. Here is what seller says so far:

This trailer frame is in decent condition ,made of channel steel. Minimal surface rust only. Frame measures 4'10 x 12'. Needs tires, one wheel bearing, no title. $25.

kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:23 pm

You might want to check with your DMV on untitled trailers and make sure you can comply.

For $25 it might be worth a bit of title trouble. 8) Just make sure you don't have to pay any back taxes or penalties. ;)

OH and measure the wheel bearing to be sure you can replace it. Check out the springs too. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:59 pm

When I registered my TD the main thing the state of Washington was interested in is where I got the axle & frame. They want to make sure it's yours with verifying documentation. I would take along some sandpaper to sand around the tongue and other places for some type of serial number & then contact the state on the status of that number. If he had it registered at one time he can apply for a duplicate certificate of ownership. :)Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby del » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm

kiltedwon

as a resident of washington state here is what i went through. have the current owner make a bill of sale. somewhere on the frame should be a vin number of some sort or an old lisence plate (have current owner include it on the bill of sale). take the number(s) down to the dmv and see if they can find the person who last owned the trailer. send a letter to them (registered). if they answer back they will more than likely be happy to release interest (a form you sent them). if they do not answer time to have the trailer inspected (note most likely have to be towable lights and tyres). for the next three years you will get a regristration only (no title). when the three years are over you must ask for a title (not automatic). i will not lie this will take time, and snares to be had. the fees may (will) exceed the cost of the trailer.

hope this helps
del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby kiltedwon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Thanks a bunch gang, I think I'm gonna just let this "deal" go to someone else.
kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm

kiltedwon wrote:Thanks a bunch gang, I think I'm gonna just let this "deal" go to someone else.

I don't think I would give up too quickly. If the owner at any point had it registered you might get a deal. Might be worth checkin out.

Mine was untitled and MO titles. It came from Kansas and had a number. The highway patrol officer ran a check and found the past owner but there were no reports on it and she could see the frame welding. Called it home made and sent me on my way. Tag ladies gave me some stuff but I am used to them. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby del » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:35 pm

kiltedwon

sorry about scaring you. remember this trailer is larger than 4 x 8 so it should be worth it. just keep in mind it will take time. the steel there would cost alot more than 25 dollars, not counting the axle (alone they are more than 25 dollars).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby kiltedwon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Its really ok, really. I tend to want to take as many "IFs" out of a project like this. Besides, the guy just emailed me that he sold the trailer, which I find interesting, considering we had an appointment.

I think I'm better off pursuing more reliable options. Thanks again for the advice.
kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby A_J » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 pm

Too Bad

That was more than $25 worth of steel
A_J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Hey Kilt,

You may have made a good decision. A lot of us have started with boat trailers, some more successfully than others.

I started with a trailer similar to the one you were looking at. I had to cut it apart, shorten it, make it box shaped, reweld the entire frame, rebuild the suspension, replace bearings and buy a new hitch. Oh yeah, I bought new fenders and it still needs new tires. I also found out that because of it's age, it's difficult to find parts for. It's also heavy! From the perspective of cost I may have saved a few bucks. From the perspective of time and labor, it was a net loss. (You can see pictures of the frame rebuild at my website). If I were to do it again I will start with raw steel and parts.

So there is no misunderstanding, if you can find a boat trailer that is in good condition and approximately the right size, it's worth using for your tear.

Find a good trailer to start with.

Joanne

kiltedwon wrote:Its really ok, really. I tend to want to take as many "IFs" out of a project like this. Besides, the guy just emailed me that he sold the trailer, which I find interesting, considering we had an appointment.

I think I'm better off pursuing more reliable options. Thanks again for the advice.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 pm

I paid a lot more for my used frame. Seemed perfect for the td build. 5' x 8', 13" car tires. In hindsight I would start with a new one. Even though my mechanic(who I bought it from) moved the axle where I wanted it I still needed new tires once I got it home and realized they were in poor shape.

So I didn't save much, maybe $100. I was just anxious to start my build. I realize you are getting a bargain at $25 so only you could decide if it's worth the work getting it td ready! It certainly seems like a good deal.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby martha24 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:58 pm

Sometimes older trailers don't even have VIN numbers, those can be gotten too through the DMV. We started our teardrop with an old trailer with no VIN number and no title, my husband wanted to get it licensed before we built the whole teardrop on it just to make sure DMV didn't have any problems with the trailer. In California a utility trailer and camp trailer get the same license plate so it shouldn't be a problem. We also did some work on the frame and put the floor on temporarily with needed lights plus safety chains and whatever needed to register it. We had no trouble at all and it was called a home built. We were in and out in one hour, one trip start to finish. :thumbsup: Though I did print out needed forms (thanks to information from other posts) off the internet and have everything as filled out as well as I could figure out and did make a photocopy of my receipts.
Though not everyone has an easy experience with DMV.
Martha
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets