tire questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

tire questions

Postby pauld3 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:23 pm

hello all

I need to order an axle, I have some 15 inch chevy wheels, will they work with the 5 bolt 4.5 inch hubs that you can get on the axles. I read that they work with some wheels but not GM's. and if they dont work with gm what does work with gm's wheels

this stuff is kinda confusing

thanks Paul
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby brian_bp » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:26 pm

While some recent Chevrolets apparently use 5-on-4.5" (or 5-on-114.3 mm) wheels, I think the traditional Chevy pattern was 5-on-4.75" (or 5-on-120.7 mm). You really need to consider just which Chevy wheel...

For specific information, you could try the Discounted Wheel Warehouse Vehicle Bolt Pattern Reference. I assume "CB" in their list is Center Bore (hole), and to fit trailer hubs it has to be big. The offset for most trailer axles is approximately zero (the Dexter on my travel trailer is 1/2") so that would be Low offset in their table.

There's also the WheelTool.com 5-Bolt Mounting Guide.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 pm

There's also this list...

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ircle#2244

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby A_J » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:50 pm

The two most common small trailer hub patterns are:

4 on 4
5 on 4.5

The 4 on 4 is pretty scarce in the passenger car world; I believe the only thing "common" that had a 4 on 4 pattern would be a Monza or Vega. Those wheels in good shape are probably fairly scarce these days, and may or may not fit over the hubs. Trailer wheels are available in 8,10,12 and 13" with that bolt pattern and very easy to locate.

5 on 4.5 is commonly found on Ford Ranger/Bronco II/Explorers as well as Jeep Wranglers 1987-2006, Cherokees, Libertys, and Grand Cherokees prior to the 1999 model year. 1960s era Mopar passenger cars were also available in this bolt pattern. Trailer wheels in 5 on 4.5 range from 8 to 15" and there may be some 16s, but I don't recall having seen any in person.

Ford and Jeep OEM wheels are typically going to have four or more inches of backspacing, where the trailer types are zero offset. Aftermarket steel and aluminum Jeep wheels can be obtained in virtually any backspacing that you might want.

I wouldn't build around a set of non-trailer pattern wheels unless they were very special. Readily available parts make for an easier time when sourcing replacements.

Good Luck
A_J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Paul,

If you are ordering the axle, just make sure they put the kind of hubs on it you need for your wheels. Around here you can order axles anyway you want them,

Talk to your axle people, see what they can offer you

John ;)
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:02 pm

I agree that there are a wide variety of bolt patterns available for trailer hubs; however, they are normally for an offset of nearly zero, and require large centre holes. Buying the right bolt pattern won't guarantee that any arbitrary auto/truck wheels of the same pattern will actually fit properly.

Of course, buy what will be easiest to work with. 5-on-4.5", zero offset, seems to be the closest thing to a universal trailer wheel for roadgoing applications, and matches a few light trucks so there are some non-trailer options.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:50 pm

A little tip for someone who ends up with a set of steel wheels that the hole is too small. Mind you this is if the hole is a little too small, I'd say less then an 1/8". I've tried this several times and it works quite well but it requires a little co-operation from a muffler shop, a $10 bill would probably do it.
Take your wheels to the aforementioned muffler shop, have the guy put them on his tube stretcher, stretch and turn a couple of times, just a little at a time. It doesn't take much and it doesn't deform the wheel at all. Of course if it's not much a die grinder might do it too.
This DOES NOT work on aluminum wheels.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

wheels

Postby pauld3 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 am

I think Ill just order the wheels when I order the axle, just to be sure.

thanks for the help

Paul
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets