Canadian Trailers?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Canadian Trailers?

Postby sharp21 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 pm

Hey
Were does a guy find a red trailer or one of the Harbour Freight units without having it shipped over the border? Duty must be pretty high on one of these big items...
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wok » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 pm

this might be shady of me :thinking: .... but if you live anywhere near a border.. drive over for "lunch" and come back with a 275lb heavier car. When I bought my HF trailer, it came in two boxes I stuck in my car. Maybe even unbox it all and scatter it around in your car or truck so it just looks like junk? Be creative. good luck!
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby sharp21 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 am

Unfortunately I dont live anywhere near the border...
Im sure there must be a Canadian equivalent?? Certainly the US doesnt have a monopoly on cheap 5x8 trailers?
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:26 am

...what about Canadian Tire...they seem to sell just about everything else up there.................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:40 am

...just for grins, I checked out the CT website and found a 4x8 traielr inna box...Product #40-8073-2...... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sharp21 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:40 am

I bow to your search skills! :applause:
I actually did search there but came up with nothing. I was planning on heading down to the local crappytire when I got home...
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:29 am

HD also has trailers... I think their snow bear, polar bear...something with a bear in it, but they aren't cheap. I've also seen trailers at Walmart....

I see your in Alberta; if you're looking to build your own frame Standen's is out your way...they make/sell axles both spring setups and torsion....

http://www.standens.com/
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby sharp21 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:35 pm

Not looking to build the trailer from scratch. I would actually like to have it ready for the summer.... Possible? We'll see.
This is the other way I was looking at going:
http://www.allandale.com/new/product_in ... 575283d20d
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wok » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Is any of the structural integrity based on having the high side rails? Part of the reason I decdied agasint the tractor supply trailer was that it had similar rails, and I was not sure If I could remove them and still have the same weight rating. I could be just too paranoid, but something to look into. Also, how much is duties? The HF trailer was 199 when I got it, it would have been around 90 to ship i think, so you are at 300, and if customs isn;t more than 100, you have 400 total, for a trailer that is very suited for the application, and being that it is so common, many folks here can help. I know I got a lot of help when building mine with various weird questions the supplier couldnt answer (lowering, etc.) Something to think about...
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby sharp21 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Well for $400 (can) I can get that one from CT. No sense importing what I can get locally.
Im gonna check that allendales trailer as well. I have a feeling that the side rails are not structural, but I was thinking about that too...
Speaking of lowering the trailer, is that just to reduce the ground clearance & the CogG to make it tow better? Because my tow vehicle is a lifted truck, so I dont think I will lower the trailer at all.
I was actually thinking about later upgrading to a heavier axle & bigger tires.
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wok » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:40 pm

I beleive the common reason for lowering, and why I did mine, is to reduce wind drag, lower the CoG, and for looks. Lowering usually just involves putting the axle above the springs, instead of below, and in some case, such as the HF trailer, cutting notches so that the axle wont hit the frame. Heavier axles and tires would be a good idea.. also, I think ive seen folks lift a trailer much the same as you would on some trucks.. put a spacer block like you'd use on a body lift between axle and springs.. but I dont know the specifics of that. I bet it would look neat though. ....some BFG all terrains.. ok I'm dreaming now...
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby sharp21 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Well my truck is pretty much a brick, so i dont think wind drag will be much of a problem, except maybe from the wind hitting the trailer from underneath!
I never considered lifting blocks... I think ill just leave it standard to start, then upgrade the axle as time goes on. Just use a lowering tow ball
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wok » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:12 am

There are a lot of interesting off-road setups on this forum. Some folks from the US and some from AU. I saw some photos of somebody's setup from AU, and the tires and ride height matched up to the truck exaclty.. really looked good, and fucntional too. made me miss my old truck :(
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:34 pm

sharp21 wrote:Well my truck is pretty much a brick, so i dont think wind drag will be much of a problem, except maybe from the wind hitting the trailer from underneath!

Quite right - creating a dam effect by having the trailer's underside lower than the truck's underside is one way you can increase drag, so it's worth avoiding.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby sharp21 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Well the trailers im looking at only have 8" wheels, so i guess down the road I will have to upgrade the axle & tires.
Maybe ill just start with lifiting blocks for this one for now
S.
sharp21
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets