Canadian Trailers?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:01 am

sharp21 wrote:Well the trailers im looking at only have 8" wheels, so i guess down the road I will have to upgrade the axle & tires.
Maybe ill just start with lifiting blocks for this one for now
S.

If it were me, I would buy what I needed rather that buy something I would need to modify later. By the time you buy a replacement axle and tires you'll probably pay more than buying the correct one in the first place. Just my .02
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby wok » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:11 am

that is a VERY good point. The cheapest axle I have ever been able to find ws $75, plus springs and hardware. and that wasnt a really heavy one. The cheapest wheel/tire I have ever seen was the 12 inch wheel from HF for 40 bucks, and occasianlly down to 30. Add it up and you are approaching 200.
wok
Teardrop Master

Canadian trailers

Postby greg55 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:25 am

Try looking at Princess Auto.They have everything you need to build a trailer.Find a welder and your all set.Theres probably at least a 100 thousand welders in the province right now.
greg55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:52 am

I agree, do it right now. It will cost more to do it twice, and you will have mediocre results in the meantime.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Canadian trailers

Postby Micro469 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:28 pm

greg55 wrote:Try looking at Princess Auto.They have everything you need to build a trailer.Find a welder and your all set.Theres probably at least a 100 thousand welders in the province right now.

That's probably your best bet..The trailers sold at CT HD and Walmart are pricey, and you have to take a lot of crap off to use them. IF you decide to get a trailernmade.....KEEP IT LIGHT>>>>> 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wok » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:58 pm

i like the homemade trailer idea because it can be made very light, as it is fabricated purely for the use of the TD/TTT, and much metal can be left out due to of the added strength and rigidty that the cabin adds. Where with a standard utility trailer, its got to be strong with just its flat bed..I dont know if I worded that correctly...
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby brian_bp » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I think the Canadian Tire trailers probably are the equivalent to the Harbor Freight and Red Trailers. A friend of mine had a very tiny one which he started to build into a camping setup.

SnowBear trailers are sold at Costco, among other places. One difference between these and the bolt-together kits is that these are made of box-section tubing, welded together. They don't come in very small sizes, and tend to come with utility sides. The ones I have seen at Costco have a complete checkerplate steel floor (although the ones on the web site do not).

The SnowBear trailers (again, as sold at Costco) do not need the sides for structure. The sides are on posts which go into stake pockets on the sides of the frame, and the ends are removable as well. The axle has forward (nearly central) and rearward (more typical of teardrops) mounting locations. I think they would be a decent base, if you could buy one without the cost of the unnecessary utility sides.

Here in Alberta there are dozens of companies which will build a trailer any size and type you want; Allandale is just one example.

These cargo trailers have springs and axles intended for significant loads. I can't see building a teardrop which would need even stiffer springs. I can see wanting brakes, and the small cargo trailers are usually kept to 2000 lb GVWR or less to dodge the legal requirement for brakes, which they don't have. That's an advantage of getting one built - you can choose the right springs, hubs, brakes, wheels, tires, and dimensions, not what suits the average cargo trailer buyer.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets