PRIMER / PAINT

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

PRIMER / PAINT

Postby RCHAPMAN » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Getting ready to prime and paint the TD. There is a Shrwin Williams store close by and they recommend PrepRite ProBlock B51 primer and SuperPaint A84 or Duration topcoat. Both are latex. Does anyone have any history with these? :thinking:
RCHAPMAN
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:15 pm

None whatsoever, but I question latex on a flat horizontal surface.

okay, now I'm back... do a search on latex boat paint.... I think I'll use latex paint on my next tear..

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/hindsight4u.html#Paint
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Trackstriper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:17 am

The link on Arne's reply is reliable info. I don't paint house types of things but do paint lines on athletic tracks. Over the years the chemistry has improved quite a bit with the water-borne acrylics, what we call "latex". I see the water-borne products increasing in performance while some of the solvent based products are decreasing in performance. The EPA and various states are requiring the paint companies to lower the solvent content in order to be "compliant" and to remove some ingredients that may be environmentally harmful, but which also make some of the paint chemistry work well (see some of Glassice's posts on fiberglass to see his frustration.)

My experience has been that the Sherwin-Williams stores come in two flavors. One is the local store that deals primarily with homeowners, the other is the commercial store that will handle a wider variety of products. There will be a commercial store in a major city. Call a couple of stores, they may have additional input. The guys at SW are usually pretty knowledgeable...much better than the average home box store, although they also carry good paint.

Some things to consider:

What kind of finish do you want. Is it to be simply practical and durable. Will roller application work for you or are you going to spray it. Do not expect a glossy custom car finish from latex. But it ought to hold up well.

Consider the color that you want. In latex you'll find that the custom tinted lighter/pastel colors will hide better and are more color stable. When you get to custom tinted deep/strong colors you typically will need more coats of paint to get hide and some bright colors (reds, yellows, greens) tend to fade quickly. If you want a stable bright color, look for an acrylic in a pre-packaged safety color in the industrial line of paints.

I would follow their recommendations. Probably one coat of primer and two coats of top paint. Two medium coats will cover and protect better than one heavier coat. Spend the money for the better paint, it's well worth the difference in price. The better paint will hide better, apply easier, and last longer.

Ask the paint guys questions about the primer. It sounds like the product you mentioned may be a concrete block filling primer which may or may not be the best primer for your use.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets