Spacers...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Spacers...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Are 1/2" thick x 5 on 4 1/4" wheel spacers easy to find???
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby dhazard » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:08 pm

I Picked up some spacers from a Big O tire shop a few years ago.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby dahoon » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Dean,

Any auto parts worth their salt can get those for you. I'll make a note and check for you and give you part numbers on Monday night, unless I can find in in the catalogs this weekend.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Re: Spacers...

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Are 1/2" thick x 5 on 4 1/4" wheel spacers easy to find???

Well yeah... Just run some same thread nuts down the studs first... as long as your lugs are long enough. 8)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:14 am

Brick,
Talked with my neighbor... manages a Les Scwaub Tire Store.
He didn't advise the use of spacers, but says they're out there.
I asked if they're one piece or what like you described.
That got his attention...
Said they need to be one piece to get the clamping pressure on the wheel.

I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, using spacers...
Besides wanting more tire clearance, my nice wheels for my original build don't set right on the hubs that are on this abandonded build I picked up down south...
The hub face is an inch larger in diameter, than the hub face on the Flexi-Ride hubs and the "dish" in the wheel is what contacts against the hub face on this other build, leaving a gap at the anchoring points.
This axle supposedly came off of a jet ski trailer and has lug bolts, instead of studs and lug nuts... I'm guessing that's a "water" thing, but I hate 'em.
My neighbor said I could easily switch from bolts to studs, but I'd need to have Kevin turn these hubs down, to get the wheel to set correctly... But that would leave the tire even closer to the wall than it is right now.
Doug advised me just to go with new hubs...
So much for saving time on this "quickie" project...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:39 am

Dean... Huh? I don't understand what he means? All the "clamping pressure" is at the lug bolts. The strength of the wheel center provides the rest of the rigidity. Being bolted against a flat surface, like a hub face, doesn't add all that much. So I have to disagree with him. I'm sure you can get lots of other opinions too. The only thing you really lose is the center hole of the wheel going over a hub. All the load is being transferred just to the lug bolts... Which is no big deal on a lightweight trailer. in my humble opinion. Of course, I wouldn't prolly do this on the front end of my car. Hey, where's Andrew when you need him? :lol:

I have done this a couple times to get clearance, in the past. Never had a problem.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:57 am

Brick,
I know woodworking, I'm OK with metalwork and I know enough about electricity to keep from getting shocked most of the time, but I'm lacking when it comes to the auto mechanics part of it... Have to ask many questions.
Was just pointing out what someone, I'd say... "Knows their stuff", said.
I too, had the thought... "Hey, this isn't a front end of a car with an engine setting on top of it." :lol:
Which leads me to my next question about wheels and tires...
OK, on a trailer... Is it better to have toe out or toe in?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:25 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Brick,
I know woodworking, I'm OK with metalwork and I know enough about electricity to keep from getting shocked most of the time, but I'm lacking when it comes to the auto mechanics part of it... Have to ask many questions.
Was just pointing out what someone, I'd say... "Knows their stuff", said.
I too, had the thought... "Hey, this isn't a front end of a car with an engine setting on top of it." :lol:
Which leads me to my next question about wheels and tires...
OK, on a trailer... Is it better to have toe out or toe in?

Dean... From my knowlege... None. Straight tracking. The toe-in on the front end of vehicles is to compensate for the wider turning radius of the outer wheel. As far as I know, this doesn't apply to a fixed axle trailer... which is just following your hitch ball, offset half the width of your trailer to each side. I hope this makes sense?
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am

Dean, haven't you ever watched the cutaway car demos on Sunday...Brick is correct, it is basically a turning/steering thing on the front offa car...most trailers have some toein becuase the axle is bowed in the middle...this is a weight bearing thing...as more weight is applied, the axle straightens out, eliminating the towin on the trailer wheels....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:50 am

madjack wrote:Dean, haven't you ever watched the cutaway car demos on Sunday...Brick is correct, it is basically a turning/steering thing on the front offa car...most trailers have some toein becuase the axle is bowed in the middle...this is a weight bearing thing...as more weight is applied, the axle straightens out, eliminating the towin on the trailer wheels....
madjack 8)

Madjack... Hmmm... Methinks you are refering to "camber & caster" settings there? "toe-in" is a different animal...

Here's a pretty good explantion: http://www.s10extremist.org/tech_articl ... camber.htm

This one may be a little better: http://www.artsautomotive.com/thealignmentstory.htm
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Gage » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:23 am

:lol: I see you caught it also Brick. ;) Dean, the simple reason for no toe-in/toe-out on a trailer is that will cause wear because the tires will never be going straight. :yes:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:37 am

Hmmm...
The Flexi Ride axel I have has a tad bit of camber... Tires lean out at top, but no toe in or toe out that I can see...
Well the axel that's on this other build has about the same camber, but it also has some toe out. I know toe out and toe in affects tire wear and I was surprised to see the toe out on this trailer, but it's there, no adjusting it without a heat wrench, that I can see. Only thing I can see, is to flip the axle around and go with toe in.
Can't swap my Flexi-Ride... It's for a 5' wide, the other one is a 4'er
I guess I could order a new axle... Man I gotta good deal on this thing!... :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:34 am

Podunkfla wrote:

Dean... Huh? I don't understand what he means? All the "clamping pressure" is at the lug bolts. The strength of the wheel center provides the rest of the rigidity. Being bolted against a flat surface, like a hub face, doesn't add all that much. So I have to disagree with him. I'm sure you can get lots of other opinions too. The only thing you really lose is the center hole of the wheel going over a hub. All the load is being transferred just to the lug bolts... Which is no big deal on a lightweight trailer. in my humble opinion. Of course, I wouldn't prolly do this on the front end of my car. Hey, where's Andrew when you need him? :lol:

I have done this a couple times to get clearance, in the past. Never had a problem.

On aluminum wheels that is true, but on steel wheels the wheel is pulled in around the lug nut as it tightens. If you look at where the marks are on your drums/rotors you will see where the wheels are supposed to contact a solid surface. I have seen steel wheels spaced with washer, while it will work they will eventually crack. I took 4 of them off a trailer once and they were all cracked.
Use caution doing it this way is all I will say.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: Spacers...

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Are 1/2" thick x 5 on 4 1/4" wheel spacers easy to find???

nope
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dhazard » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Dean, can you talk Kevin into making a plate out of 1/2” steel with studs and holes to convert the axle to studs and space the tires out at the same time?
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets