Pop up Camper trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Pop up Camper trailer

Postby Efiladeeni » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:28 am

Is there a reason why I haven't read of anyone using the trailer from a demolished pop up camper? We're thinking about giving it a try...my brother in law tried to pop ours up last year with the camper at a 45 degree angle (idiot!) So it was ruined...figured building on the frame might not be a bad idea. Figured alot could be recycled...the stove, water tank, mattresses, lights etc. It's huge though, about 6' 6" x 13' not including the back bumper. Is this a bad idea?
Efiladeeni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sierrajack » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:38 am

Doesn't seem to be a bad idea!! Yes, your Brother-In-Law is an idiot. If you plan on building on that frame, you might want to shorten it up a bit. I guess if it held a pop-up it would hold a TD box. Send pix, then we can see what's what and possibly give you some pointers. You could use the Generic Benroy plans and just stretch 'er out a might.
I hate family helping me or attempting to help me on anything, if they screw up you have to hate them forever.
:R
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby JNSDAVIS » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:50 am

If it were me and i had that big ol frame... I would make a RainDrop.. or go off that base. I perfer the look of the RainDrop to the TD... But the wife on the other hand likes the TD better... so what will i prob go for? You guessed it the TD. :roll: Me and the wifey restored an older 60ish Colman pop-up a few years ago... Thats alot of space to play with :thumbsup:
JNSDAVIS
Teardrop Inspector

What's a raindrop?

Postby Efiladeeni » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:54 am

I've spent hours googling anything about building campers and I've never heard of one. Is there a webpage out there in cyberspace you could point me to? Thanks so much for the replies!
Efiladeeni
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pop up Camper trailer

Postby Outlaw » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:08 am

Efiladeeni wrote:Is there a reason why I haven't read of anyone using the trailer from a demolished pop up camper? We're thinking about giving it a try...my brother in law tried to pop ours up last year with the camper at a 45 degree angle (idiot!) So it was ruined...figured building on the frame might not be a bad idea. Figured alot could be recycled...the stove, water tank, mattresses, lights etc. It's huge though, about 6' 6" x 13' not including the back bumper. Is this a bad idea?

It's definately been done before. You can modify the frame any way you'd like. BTW, welcome to the site!!! If you look through our user's gallery's I feel certain you'll find someone that used a pop-up frame. Get the trailer, do the demo, and posts some pics of the frame. You'll definately get some solid advice on how to proceed :thumbsup:
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:24 am

I have a version of the Widget that got redesigned to fit on a pop-up frame:

It's not on my web site, so if you want it, pm me your email address.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:51 am

:cry: What about mine. :lol: Check this out:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9542

Ignore the first drawing and skip to Mikes improved cad.

There are several more around here somewhere. 8) Andrew has a bunch of designs that are great. The biggest thing, other than being big is the extra materials needed. Mine has small wheels and they look it.

You can also modify the frame if it is too big or heavy. :thumbsup:

Just noticed the length. :D Check this out
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=12886 :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets