Trailer Finally Not Naked!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer Finally Not Naked!

Postby sandman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:16 pm

Hello Folks,

Been a few days since I had any pics to share. I have been waiting for the temps to be warm so I could pull out the trailer and prime and paint it. Friday finally brought warmer temps so I got out the old compressor and HVLP Spray Gun and hit the trailer with self etching primer after wiping down the whole thing with mineral spirits to make sure there was no grease on the metal. Saturday brought even better temps so I pulled out the trailer and started shooting the flat black paint. I finally finished her up this morning crawling under the trailer and shooting every inch with black paint.

The whole deck is metal mesh from front to back. Since the first 5 feet of the trailer will be utilized to carry my dirtbike, I shot it with some rhino-liner bed liner so it wouldn't be so slick when wet. It made a nice thick coat around the metal mesh and provides nice traction. Next I have to install a wheel chock for the bike and then back to the welder to get 4 lashing rings welded onto the frame for the tie-down straps.

While I was waiting to paint the trailer, I decided to get some more goodies for it like fancy 14" Aluminum Rims and a tongue-mount storage box. The storage box will be used to carry all my spare parts, tubes, fluids, and extra riding gear plus the marine battery will be housed in there as well. The rims aren't here yet but they are on the way. Here's the progress as of this morning.

All painted up in flat back with tongue-mount storage box.

Just another view of the same old trailer.

Here's a pic of the 14x6 Aluminum Star Rims which will take place of the plain-jane 15" Rims provided by the trailer builder. I figured I would sell the rims and tires on Ebay to recoup some of my investment. The 15" rims made it sit way too high so the 14" rims will be a welcome addition to the Teardrop/Cycle Hauler.

Now that the paint is done, I can finally begin installing my wood floor in the next few days and then on to the walls.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

Pictures can be misleading, just wondering.... do you have the right offset on those rims? Trailer rims usually have a 0 offset... like rear wheel drive cars, while that looks like a front wheel drive rim....Don't know the correct terminology.....As I said... pictures can be misleading..... ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby sandman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 pm

The rims have no offset. Center of rim = center of tire. I bought the rims from Sturdy Built Trailers. They are made specificially for trailers.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:26 pm

sandman wrote:The rims have no offset. Center of rim = center of tire. I bought the rims from Sturdy Built Trailers. They are made specificially for trailers.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby elmo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:41 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup:
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets