Trailer Frame Slightly Bent. Am I screwed?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby sandman » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Cool Deal, Guys. Thanks for holding my hand through this. I checked the trailer a little while ago and it's bent back a bit more since this morning. It's slowly getting straight.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby sandman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:35 pm

An update to the trailer saga, I began to work on the trailer again today and decided that the metal mesh was in the way and causing some issues with getting the floor level so I took a grinder and cut-off wheel after the mesh. I left the first five feet for the cargo deck and cut the remaining 7 feet off and grinded the welds down. The floor joists are now sitting very level so I can start bolting the floor down tomorrow. Looks like the bad Ju Ju is finally starting to pass. 8)
sandman
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:25 am

That's great to hear. Just keep it up on the jacks until the whole body of the tear is done.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:40 am

SM, I wondered when you were going to realize that about the mesh...better sooner so it could be removed instead of latter when it couldn't............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sandman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:46 am

Yeah, I will be keeping it on the jackstands until the end of the build. The extra height is easier on my old back. :)

Madjack-I figured that the mesh would provide nice level support plus make the trailer more rigid but it really didn't. It was just in the way the whole time. Got a few more welds to grind down but lesson has been learned plus removing the mesh took about 60lbs of worthless weight off the frame. :thumbsup:
sandman
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets