Newbie here with information overload!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Newbie here with information overload!

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Is there a trailer I can get that doesn't have to be modified before using it as a teardrop trailer? I've been thinking of using the ol' Harbor Freight trailer, but I've now considered using that 5x8 from RedTrailers. The good thing about that is they're located in Quakertown PA and I'm in South Jersey so I can just go get it. I'm thinking of extending the base platform 6" front to back to give me a 9 footer. Can this be done without any ill effects? My head is spinning from all the options, but I'm trying to stick with something simple for my first build. Basically what I'm asking is, is there a trailer I can build a Benroy style design on without having to get any welding done or modifying?
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:32 pm

You should only have to change how the Redtrailer is bolted together to eliminate the 'folding' feature. And it should be no problem what so ever to extend the teardrop over the back or front or both to make it a 9 footer. Just keep asking questions and you will get lots of answers and help.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Sam I am » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 pm

I used the Red Trailers 5'x8' model unmodified, except to leave off the pivots normally used for folding. The axle is not moved back. The curved front and rear of the teardrop body overhang the frame for a 105" (almost 9') length. It worked fine.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Very nice info there! It looks like I'll be using the 5x8 RedTrailer!
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets