Ready to order a Torflex.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby S.A.Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks Brian and Rich .The adjustable part sounds good to me.
You are right on the UGLY part about the hitch and the greasy part
is not good when traveling.
Thanks again
Mike
S.A.Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S.A.Mike » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:41 pm

Back again with a few more flexride questions
I think that the idea of being adjustable is a good idea
but am wondering if it is as reliable as the dexter torflex
non adjustable
since I am 95% convinced the adjustable is the one I want
where is the best place to order this axle?
Is the price about the same between the two?
Thanks Mike
S.A.Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brian_bp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:17 pm

What I have heard, including from a local supplier of both Dexter and Flexiride, is that the Flexiride is a few percent more expensive.

I can't imagine a reliability problem with the Flexiride compared to the Dexter. The splined connection is just solidly bolted together (no obvious way for that to fail other than rusting together), and the rubber part is formed in place (rather than four rubber rods inserted into spaces) so it should be better; the formed rubber is also distorting in a preferable manner to the "squishing" action of the Dexter design.

However, I have no personal experience with the service life of either. From reports by other owners, many Dexter-type units eventually fail (usually just sag and lose springiness, not fail catastrophically), but that usually takes decades. Flexiride are much less common so I don't even have anecdotal evidence to pass on.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:31 pm

...both are robust units and would take decades to fail from just usage...given a preference(and an extra hundred bucks), I would go with the Flexirde axle(have used both).TorqFlex...180 bucks at my door. Flexiride...230 bucks plus 50 dollar shipping. etrailerpart.com is the only distributor of Flexiride that I know of(there are others) for full length versions...stubbies can be ordered directly from UCFAmerica for a little cheaper........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby S.A.Mike » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks brian and madjack for the good info
Mike
S.A.Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:20 pm

You may save a little by ordering a Dexter axle from the nearest Dexter company warehouse. Then they charge delivery from the nearer warehouse not all the way from the main manufacturing plant. It took 3 weeks from the time I ordered a Torflex axle for it to arrive which is the time they told me to expect. Dexter will customize the axle for you free. Call them and ask for a "Prospect."
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets