Wooden trailer frame?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Shallowatereds » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:49 am

Thanks Jay and Track. :thumbsup:

As to why, I don't know. Maybe I'd like to be able to say I built the while thing, like the boats.

Again, just thinking out loud...
Casey Jones
Shallowatereds
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerdo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:54 am

Sorry Rolly I thought that yours was all wood. There is someone on this forum that has made an all wood TD. Now who is it?

I personaly think that we put too much emphasis on a good strong frame. The body of the TD "A Torsion Box" and seems like that is where most of the strength and rigity comes from. How strong and rigid is a HF frame? Most use a steel frame because it is a known entity. It has a tongue, axle, and wheels. It is ready to go down the road. As rolly said, as long as you have firm mounting points for an axle and a tongue you are there.

Mike, How is your Ultralight coming? Wasn't it all wood, or mostly? It seems like you were using very little steel on it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby apratt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 am

This guy has a wooden frame...http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=1224

Also there is one other has a wooden frame I think it was Savanna (sp.)

found it, Jiminsav.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

Has anyone used this manual, "The No-Weld Wood Chassis building manual" http://www.tinytears.cc/manual.html, to build a wood/epoxy/fiberglass based frame?

I personally build my frames from 2"x2" or 2"x3" 1/8" wall. Very straight forward to build a strong, rigid, 100 lb raw frame (4'x6', 4' tongue, 2"x2" tubing. But I'm always interested in exploring alternative building methods.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets