Surge Brakes

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby HossHoffer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:33 am

Alphacarina wrote:
brian_bp wrote:Trailer brakes are not required on trailers under 1500kg (1650 pounds) unless the weight of the trailer is over 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the whole shoutin' match. The conversion from kg to lb is approx 2.2 lbs/kg making the conversion 3,306.93 lbs. That would make it a completely different story.

As for me, after screaming down a grade on I-90 with a load of wood on a homemade 5th wheel with inadequate electric brakes I'm gonna go with bigger is better. Be they surge or electric. I'm still finding pieces of upholstery I sucked up between my butt cheeks and it has been 30 years! I'm building for off-road so the 3500lb axle with the largest brakes available will be found underneath the rig.

Sorry to resurrect an old post but after reading the last couple of new posts nothing makes sense on what is and what is not required in Europe. I haven't done much driving there since the early 80's. Guess I'll stick to trains and pensions.

Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby jeep_bluetj » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:24 am

More old post ressurection....

I used a 3500lb axle w 10" electric brakes on my offroad TinyTentTrailer.

For towing with DW's expedition, I don't even hook up the controller. (Trailer weighs ~ 1500lb wet)

With my jeep, I won't even think of moving the trailer without the brake controller. On road, it's necessary to not end up sideways. Offroad, it's a joy to have brakes.

I absolutely love being able to manually apply the trailer brakes too. Electric all the way for me. Going downhill in sandy desert terrain, I'll let the jeep crawl with just engine braking, but I can also brake the trailer too - otherwise it wants to push the jeep around too much.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby H@nk » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Sorry Henk, but the chances that I'll be learning Dutch any time soon as pretty slim... :cry:

Hi brian,

So I understand I have to go on posting everything in english? :x :x

I saw the other day here on the forum somewhere a pic of something I like very much. The Sunny 16, that's the one I am going to built.

Henk
Old bread isn't hard, no bread, that's hard.
H@nk
The 300 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:04 pm

HossHoffer wrote:
Alphacarina wrote:Trailer brakes are not required on trailers under 1500kg (1650 pounds) unless the weight of the trailer is over 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the whole shoutin' match. The conversion from kg to lb is approx 2.2 lbs/kg making the conversion 3,306.93 lbs. That would make it a completely different story.

As mentioned later in the thread, the limit appears to be 750 kg (not 1500 kg), so the 1650 lb value is appropriate.

I noticed the error in Don's original post, but since it seems that the discussion was working in pounds, and the 1650 lb value is the correct one, I left it alone. Yes, 3,300 lb would be a different matter.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:08 pm

H@nk wrote:So I understand I have to go on posting everything in english? :x :x

Yup. Henk, since your English if fine and my Dutch would never be intelligible, that's probably a good thing :)
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets