new style HF trailer? also at red trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

new style HF trailer? also at red trailer

Postby Elumia » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:47 am

saw this, looks interesting
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=96536

13" wheels
torsion axle
kinda wierd size 56" x 88"

no manual or instructions to find more info

edit, also seen on red trailer
http://www.redtrailers.com/LittleGiantTrailer.asp

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:52 am

Ouch! $699, you could build a custom frame for that kind of money.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:08 am

That was my thought also. :shock:
You could get a trailer built for less than that for the same size ( of correct size what you want to fit you axels and box size ) in this area. :roll:
The size is strange, but I do like the style of the Red Trailers sides. :thinking:
Railing has some revamp ideas ( it is not usable because of its size ). :thinking:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Only if you do your own welding.

I had a price for $600 for welding up a trailer, and still had to furnish my own axle. And don't even ask about the other guy... $1200!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Elumia » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:54 pm

a trailer kit without steel is $399 at southwest wheel
2000 lb, w/ torsion axle, 13" wheels
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-2 ... r-kit.aspx

Once you buy the steel, paint and your time to drill the holes to build with a kit, you will be in the same price range. plus the "little giant" gives you some decking that might be usable. (if not on the trailer some other project)

56" wide lets you easily build a 54" wide interior, which is the width of a std double bed. better than 4', maybe not a s good as 5'. no reason the axle can't be relocated back further and the bed extended to 8' with wood only.

I'd consider it. certainly worth looking at it. I'd rather use it than the std HF trailer for a couple reasons
A. Torsion Axle over spring axle
B. 13" wheels over 12" (better visual proportion) more retrofit options
C. Looks like a better hub (lubrication)

If you use a HF coupon, price is even better.

The red trailers 5x8 teardrop frame is $499, that comes with a spring axle and 12" wheels.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:17 pm

From the Harbor Freight page...
Specially designed torsion axle system features an independent, rubber-dampened suspension for great stability and quiet operation

Yeah, specially designed in the 1960's and built the same way since for all sorts of trailers by many companies, with zero consideration of this specific trailer. I'm not criticizing the suspension, but either these guys put an extraordinary effort into a $700 trailer to design a suspension, or it's a standard axle and they think their customers know very little about trailers... either would be interesting.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

cjm

Postby cjm » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm

And with a 20percent coupon.......maybe? :thinking:
cjm
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:24 pm

asianflava wrote:Ouch! $699, you could build a custom frame for that kind of money.
A hot dip galvanized one? With torsion axle? Galvanized wheels? Complete with bed and walls?

Not a bad buy, IMO - wonder if the 15% off coupons can be applied to it's purchase?

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Yeah whatever.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 pm

Camping last weekend a new guy in our group brought his homebuilt teardrop. I got re-enthused about building a small trailer vs. a big canned ham.

Anyway I just looked at the manual for this "Little Giant" over at the redtrailers.com site. It appears to have a good axle position for a teardrop- more rearward than most. The weight is reasonable and I really like the torsion axle, hubs, and wheel size. Low height is nice too.

The floor length might be good for a round front profile, maybe with some rear overhang. Not so great for my (new) thoughts on a 5x10x5 tear.

The most interesting thing is how the floor and wall beams are each a single piece of metal that makes a bend at each side. I was thinking that it would be a lot of cutting if you just wanted to make a flat platform, but would be interesting to leave them and have them serve as the wall framing for a trailer. Of course they wouldn't extend the full height.

Any thoughts on this?
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Elumia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:36 pm

JimQ,
I think the only issue is that it might be tricky to deal with the curved extrusion and the transition to a curved top. Other than that, seems like a fine idea.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:07 pm

brian_bp wrote:Yeah, specially designed in the 1960's and built the same way since for all sorts of trailers by many companies, with zero consideration of this specific trailer. I'm not criticizing the suspension, but either these guys put an extraordinary effort into a $700 trailer to design a suspension, or it's a standard axle and they think their customers know very little about trailers... either would be interesting.

They've been around for quite some time, but I suspect the manner and materials they're built with has changed some in the interim

Doubt they were manufactured this way in the '60's "We compress the cords into a half round space with a Hydraulic press. This deforms the cords while they are being frozen by liquid nitrogen. The frozen cords are held around the inner metal bar and inserted in the outer tube. They thaw out within a few minutes, and then they are ready for 20 years plus use"
They ARE among the only independant trailer axles . . . . even after all those years ;)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets