8" or 12 " wheels?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Bernoulli » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:01 am

The number of trailers broken down beside the road is inversely proportional to the tire diameter size. The smaller the tire, the more you'll see.
Bernoulli
Teardrop Inspector

Tire size

Postby Ken Fincher » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Deacon

Iwould agree with Mike, And Airspeed go with a bigger tire less chance of having problems down the road.

You could probably buy the 8" tire to save a little money then buy some bigger rims & tires from discount tire or some other tire store.

Myself I bought the 12" tires on my last build, Then I ordered some chrome rims and tires, And I mounted the stock 12" tire under my trailer for a spare. (New tires and rims have a much higher raiting on them not 55mph max speed)

Deacon you can check out my web page and I explain and show you the difference, On page 9 of my teardrop construction section.
I hope this may help you. You may also get a few more ideas from my build page. Good luck with your build. (I am also starting a new build)

Ken F.
(www.VegasTeardrop.com)
Thanks to the Highways & Byways & our National & State Parks,What a beautiful Country we live in.

( www.VegasTeardrop.com )
Ken Fincher
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Guys I am going to give you a really good reason to go 12" and hope it isn't too late. We can only get Wallmart to put tires on 8" rims.

Second reason: 5 lugs!!!!!!!!!!! If you ever change you will be better able to match them.

Besides rural roads have pot holes. :?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets