But will it work?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

But will it work?

Postby signs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Several years ago I bought this frame at auction really cheap.

Since then I have used it for many uses including a flat bed utility trailer and its current configuration as a ladder rack.

It measures 4' wide at the frame rails and just over 8' long from the rear edge to the front cross rail. it has extensions on both side of aprox. 9" on each side.
It has a drop axle and electric brakes (I have never used them so I am sure they would require some repairs if not a complete rebuild).

I am not sure what style of TD i am going to build yet, but do know I want 54' width minimum so I can use a full side inflatable mattress (not as thin as I used to be, needs to sleep myself and wife).

So the big questions are:

From the pics does it look like it is a good start or should I start over?

I plan to tow with my full size pick up or mommas Yukon, so are brakes even needed?

If I do use this trailer, are there any modifications I should make?

signs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 pm

Looks absolutely usable to me......... It's better than a lot of people start with....

Are the electric brakes necessary?... Probably not.... Will they be a plus when towing when complete? ... Probably yes..... If you got em', use em'...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Airspeed » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 pm

That trailer will work great. If you dont end up using the brakes I would take all the brake parts out of the hubs, I have seen those old electric brakes fall apart and lock up the hubs.
As far as the width goes, I used a 48" wide frame on my 60" wide tear and it worked great, I didnt even have to add any steel to the sides at all. The wall in the galley and the front wall will be plenty support for the body of the tear.
I would sand blast the whole thing to get rid of the rust and add some more cross bracing after you decide what type of tear your going to build.
My frame looked alot like yours when I started and it worked out perfect. Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Re: But will it work?

Postby rbeemer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:05 pm

signs wrote:I am not sure what style of TD i am going to build yet, but do know I want 54' width minimum so I can use a full side inflatable mattress (not as thin as I used to be, needs to sleep myself and wife).

Are you sure you want it of be 54 feet wide :R :R :lol: :lol:

I think that you should go 60" wide so you can fit a queen size mattress in it instead of the full size
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby signs » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:15 pm

rbeemer wrote:
signs wrote:I am not sure what style of TD i am going to build yet, but do know I want 54' width minimum so I can use a full side inflatable mattress (not as thin as I used to be, needs to sleep myself and wife).

I think that you should go 60" wide so you can fit a queen size mattress in it instead of the full size

Already have the inflatable mattress, trying to build this without buying anything new that I already have that will work.

Jay
signs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Micro469 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 am

signs wrote:
rbeemer wrote:

Already have the inflatable mattress, trying to build this without buying anything new that I already have that will work.

Jay

Just make sure your interior measurement is 54". Depending on the thickness of the walls, the outside measurement will be a little more. I built mine 6' wide, but the inside is only 57". :x
Too big for a double.... too small for a queen...... got to get special cut foam :?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rbeemer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:44 am

[quote="Micro469]
Just make sure your interior measurement is 54". Depending on the thickness of the walls, the outside measurement will be a little more. I built mine 6' wide, but the inside is only 57". :x
Too big for a double.... too small for a queen...... got to get special cut foam :?[/quote]
John,

I did not hink your walls were 7.5" thick 6' = 72", 72"- 57" = 15" /2 = 7.5":R :R :lol:

I am thinking you meant 60" or 5' if not your walls should keep you plenty warm with all that insulation - I don't think my house walls have that much insulation :lol: :lol:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:32 pm

boy, someone is sure a stickler for feet and inches hash marks....
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Well . . . . there is quite a difference between 6 feet and 60 inches . . . . . :thinking:

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Socal Cherokee » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:54 am

signs wrote:From the pics does it look like it is a good start or should I start over?

Those 'welds' on the tongue jack are pretty bad. At least give it a good inspection before putting it to use.
Socal Cherokee
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets