K Car axles?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

K Car axles?

Postby jawbone » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:28 am

I know I've seen this covered briefly before - but are there any major faults in using an axles off a K car or Mini van for your trailer? Are they heavy? I'm in the planning stages but getting itchy to start. I can get an axle, springs, wheels and tires for around $125 (C'najun) - thoughts?
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby depatty » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 am

Depends on what size/kind of Tear/TTT you are planing on building and where you are located. The Harbor Freight trailers are already certified and easy to get tags for. Unless you have a fair amount of scrap metal lying around and welding equipment it would most likely be cheaper and a whole lot easier to just buy one. Another route is to find a rotted out popup or old utility trailer and build on that frame.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:39 am

Short answer: No problems -- especially if you can get a non-AWD minivan rear axle. It's a cheap upgrade for a bolt-together frame, even: gives you options to use bigger rims/tires. The GWVR rating on the axle *should* be on a sticker (build plate) somewhere either in a doorsill or under the hood.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby jawbone » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:24 am

Thanx guys - does this type axle add much weight to the overall Tear? I like the idea of the bigger tires but don't want to start adding extra pounds if it's not needed. (I have enough of those on me!)
jawbone
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets