New to me trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

New to me trailer

Postby cguardsman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 pm

I bought a utility trailer Image
it is built heavy which is what i wanted as it is going to serve 2 purposes. it is 5x7.5 and the gate is removable. can someone point me to the pod type builds? when i search for it it is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. i want to build one that i can remove from the trailer when needed.
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike C. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Craig,

What do you mean by pod type build? Do you have a favorite profile? I think any profile can be removeable, depending on how it is built.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby cguardsman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:45 pm

i remember seeing several pics of removable tears that is what i mean by pod :) for lack of a better word.....i haven't settled on a profile yet as i was going to build on my hf trailer but my dad decided he needed a light weight trailer so i sold it to him to buy a little sturdier unit i could use for other things too. :thumbsup: I live on acreage and have to have one to move quads and hay and such....
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 am

DanL's Pod is the only one I can point to that's actually been built - several other people have discussed it but I don't know if they've posted build details.

http://home.att.net/~daniel.v.jones/tea ... intro.html

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jeepr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:33 am

As I see it, any trailer can be a pod. The bodies are just bolted to the trailer. Make your floor out of 2x4s so it has some extra strength and use 1/2" ply on the bottom so it can slide on and off the trailer. Maybe even a skid of some type like 2x4s or 2x6s on the bottom. It will be pretty heavy, so you will need some way to load and unload it, like an ATV or Harbor Freight winch. You could build a stand for it to sit on that would make it easier to load and unload.

Nice Cherokee by the way.. :thumbsup:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

POD

Postby Randy S. Hager » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:16 pm

How about putting the jacks that truck campers use then just pick it up off the trailer and drive it out from under the POD. Just need to make it as wide as the wheels/tires.
Randy S. Hager
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:57 am

I custom build mini barns and move them on a 8' x 24' flat bead trailer.
To load them I simply use two handy jacks to raise one end and drive the trailer under the barn I then use some schedule 80 pvc for rollers. Jack the other end and winch it on the trailer. You can raise the building with a pry bar and remove the rollers after its loaded. There is no reason a pod could not be built as a tear , another as a state bed , another as a flat bed , and yet another as a box trailer. Four trailer types with the expense of 1 trailer. I think 2 sections of conveyor would be the ultimate answer to loading and unloading the small pods.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets