Flipped over my Standy dropped axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Flipped over my Standy dropped axle

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:13 am

After gutting out the whole inside, I was amazed how high the sheetmetal interior wheel covers were. The spring action would only allow about 2 1/2" of upword travel, so since the tires were only 3" above the inside floor, I cut the covers out with a cold chisel.

Then discovered that I could lower the whole trailer 8 1/2 inches if I flipped the axle over. It took a better part of a day to shore up the trailer on a sloping side yard, undo all of the rusted bolts and wheels and now the axle is bolted back in place with the 4 1/4" dropped section on the top.

Surprise, I couldn't get the wheel back on due to the original wheel cut-out in the side of the Kenskill being too small. So, with sawsall in hand, I rounded the top enough to get the wheel on after greasing the bearings. Now, the tire is 12 inches above the inside floor and allowing 3" of travel, I should have left the huge sheetmetal covers just the size they were originally. I guess it's time to make some new ones again. Grrrr.
Roly, would rather work on a TD than a TTT anytime! :x
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets