Trailer jacks

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Joshua » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 am

Worked more on the trailer last night. Did some more spot painting on the frame to make sure it is covered up. I need to clean up the centers hub on the axles.

Before I started spot painting last night
Almost done for the night!

I was just starting to mount the tailights (two holes on the lower right 2nd picture). After I got them mounted I called it a day. Also in the picture (left side middle) I did not paint over the VIN info. Since there is pretty much nothing left of the original, and I think I know the concensus vote here, but should I leave it or remove it?

Thanks for all the replies! Aggie are you saying that the BAL are overkill? They do look easier to use, but once again, one more thing to research, thanks for the link!
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't have a frame built yet, but I like the BAL. The optional "feet" or "pads" could probably be built at home.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby del » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 pm

aggie79 wrote:Not sure where he got them, but I think the ones Del used are from BAL:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/BAL-STABILIZER-JACK-SET/GP_2008285_N_111+10207+600018210_10107.jcw
This is what I got for my build.
Yes that is where I got them, and they worked great all weekend (I have been camping all weekend), if you get them I think you will be happy.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Joshua » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks Del. I will probably order some soon.
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brian_bp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Joshua wrote:... I did not paint over the VIN info. Since there is pretty much nothing left of the original, and I think I know the concensus vote here, but should I leave it or remove it?

I don't know about the rules in Kansas, but if I were doing that here I would certainly keep the VIN visible; if I tried to register the complete trailer without the VIN, I would be required to arrange for a VIN to be issued, with some delay and cost involved, instead of just using the one that's already there.

It might be possible to cover the original VIN information and re-stamp the same VIN onto the frame in a way that is more acceptable for continued use (i.e. fully readable and allows you to complete repainting the frame).
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joshua » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:01 am

I would think so as well. I did call the County appraiser and since it wasn't registered in the last 10 years and it is considered less than 1,000 lbs, they don't need the info. Also there was no title with it and no bill of sale for the $200 I paid. Kansas does not issue tags for trailers weighing less than 1,000 lbs, although it was clearly 2,000lbs when I was pulling it around. Ironically, it was owned by a county appraiser from SE Kansas. So after all those discussions, I should be safe. My insurance will cover it pulling or not. So I have that base covered as well. I think I will clean up the frame and make up a new VIN plate like you suggested.

Thanks,
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Von Pook » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 pm

I just happend to find a decent deal on stabilizer jacks. Harbor Freight has some on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96406
Eric, the camping sound guy
Von Pook
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets