Dexter Tosion Axle on Northen Tool 5x8 kit?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Dexter Tosion Axle on Northen Tool 5x8 kit?

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 am

Hi, Zack
    Just saw your new build thread. What a cool design. :thumbsup:
    Since the notch won't show behind the wheel & only the axle tube needs to pass through the side walls, it looks like you'll still be able to adjust for final balance. In this old thread there is a discussion about making sure that the axle swing arms clear the cabin sides - a matter of axle overhang & hub face to hub face dimension.
    I hope that you'll document the process of changing axles. I think it will be a good resource for others.
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Just following up in this thread... my Torflex is installed. Easy as could be!

Link to the post in my build thread: viewtopic.php?p=1065563#p1065563
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:36 pm

:applause: Zach, points to you for teardrop community service. :beer:
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby amp1ron » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 pm

It's probably too late to help, but I've been away from here for far too long to respond sooner. There are pictures of how I reinforced the side C-channel of my NT frame when I attached a torsion axle to it at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=945851#p945851 . I need to warn you that my trailer isn't finished yet, so this reinforcement hasn't been road-tested. But it was a simple modification.
amp1ron
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Good idea! I'll check on my frame at the end of this season and see how its holding up. With the axle assembly acting as a rigid cross-member I wouldn't imagine that the extra reinforcing is necessary, but it certainly won't hurt. I think that the individual stock leaf spring mounting brackets would create much greater stress points compared to the torsion axles mounting brackets.
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:31 am

If you are custom-ordering a Dexter torsion axle, the Dexter diagram below (with enlargement) suggest that the axle can be ordered with 'reverse orientation' mounting brackets that would put the vertical leg of the mounting bracket in line with the vertical leg of the trailer frame, in which case I don't see the need to add any reinforcement.

dexter1.JPG
dexter1.JPG (90.45 KiB) Viewed 2544 times

dexter2.JPG
dexter2.JPG (33.6 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Art Mini » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:04 am

I used a NT 5x8 frame and extended it 18" to 9'6". I just got a couple more pieces of frame cut and welded them. I used the smaller cross members to run inside the side rails for strength. Now I'm dealing with moving the axle forward. From the factory the axle is center at 42" from the back. Now my frame is 114" long so I centered the axle 54" from the back. I'm very happy with the way it worked out. Now I just need to finish the trailer.

That's my plan, for a few reasons:

1.) I priced a custom welded 5x8 frame, and cheapest estimates came in around $1200 - just for a custom frame - no axle, tires, wheels, lights, coupler, etc. JUST A CUSTOM FRAME - STEEL AND LABOR. :?

2.) I can get a Northern Tool kit for less than $500. Add $280 for a Dexter torsion axle, $300 for larger wheels/tires (that I was planning on anyway), and that all still comes in less than the best custom frame estimate.

3.) A custom frame does not come with a certificate of origin, so registration/titling would be a pain in the a$$. Northern Tool is just like HF and gives you a MCO, and the trailer already has a VIN.

4.) Although the NT frame doesn't have some of the features that I had figured into the custom frame, I can still achieve everything that I wanted to - but using different methods. Overall geometry is still the same.

Before anyone asks.... yes, I got multiple estimates on my custom frame design: two places came in at $1200, another at $1400, and one at $2400 (dumba$$es).[/quote]
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
Art Mini
Teardrop Advisor

Postby paintm4u » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:34 pm

OK good plan but I do feel sorry for you in one regard, the welders in your area are over charging you by half. I live in Kansas, yes armpit of the country, but, I had a custom trailer frame built to my plan, 5' x 10' with axle and 15" wheels and tires, tongue jack and built heavy duty for 4 wheel drive use in the Colorado mountains for.....$750.00 ...Oh also a registrable title. I also had my choice of axles, torsion or tube.
Finished frame

paintm4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:05 pm

paintm4u wrote:OK good plan but I do feel sorry for you in one regard, the welders in your area are over charging you by half. I live in Kansas, yes armpit of the country, but, I had a custom trailer frame built to my plan, 5' x 10' with axle and 15" wheels and tires, tongue jack and built heavy duty for 4 wheel drive use in the Colorado mountains for.....$750.00 ...Oh also a registrable title. I also had my choice of axles, torsion or tube.

Congratulations. Unfortunately the welders most likely aren't "over-charging". Services vary by location, just like living expenses. Higher living expenses = higher wages = higher cost.

Nice looking trailer you have there, but for many of us, the bolt together frames are the more economical way to go. :roll:
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:40 pm

I've been thinking about this and after a lot of thought, and not many mentions of failures if the original NT axel and wheels, have decided to not upgrade. That being the case, if someone ends up with an extra NT axel, hubs, wheels, and tires - current or compatible version - I'd be interested.
QueticoBill
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets