spare tire?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: spare tire?

Postby Franco Novo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Well, with mine, since on the initial trip, within 250 miles of our starting point, the hub actually came apart (not the bearings),

OUCH: that's no fun.
the wheel hub came apart?
How rude....

F.
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

I was really lucky. It was on our initial 2,400+ mile trip. I was stopping every 50-100 miles to check wheel temps and trailer conditions. For some reason I had decided to stop and get gas, but did not need it. I then noticed the wheel looked weird and had all this black stuff on it. I then realized it was starting to get a tire rub on the wheel well. When I jacked it up I saw that the rim/tire was kind of floppy. The lug nuts were spinning the bolts, but the hub itself was solid. I couldn't remove the wheel, so I removed the hub and that's when I saw it was literally disintegrating. I was super lucky in that I could leave the trailer at the gas station and at the next exit was both a tire store and Tractor Supply. The Discount Tire store mgr spent like 20 minutes cutting the bolts off of the hub and didn't charge a penny. In fact, he would not accept even an offer to buy him or his crew lunch. Tractor supply had the perfect hub. Only thing the tire guy and I could figure out was that the hub casting was bad. He said he had never seen anything like it. I probably would not have made it 10 more miles without a full destruction of the wheel and who knows what else.

HF gave me no flack when I got back and immediately replaced both the hub and tire/wheel assembly.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54 am

Just had a blowout on my utility trailer yesterday (HF folder). Heard a pop and subsequent whirring/shuddering noise that went along with the shuddering that I could see the trailer making. It was a bit overloaded and probably not loaded correctly since it sagged the springs and did have a bit of sway. I never got around to flip the bolts on the fenders, so they ate into the tires causing the failure. Karma was nice to me though.. It didn't cause the trailer to be unstable and I could safely come to a stop. It waited until after I was off the main highway, only about 10min from home (1.5hr trip) on a fairly straight/flat stretch with low traffic and very wide shoulders. So I dropped the trailer to get my floor jack (easier to use) and tools to flip the fender bolts. Mid-70s temps and sunny that day so it was probably the most pleasant tire change I've experienced.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby Franco Novo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:44 pm

"DrewsBrews"] .....I never got around to flip the bolts on the fenders, so they ate into the tires causing the failure.

That's a good point. Same thought occurred to me, and before my trek, I had planned to replace those bolts with short ones, ...or, flip them,
Never got around to it. Overloaded or not, seems like one god awful pothole could drive them into the tire....After reading this , that's the next order of business........

thanks
Franco
Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets