Can I turn this sow's ear into a silk purse?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Can I turn this sow's ear into a silk purse?

Postby plectrudis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm looking for some advice on trailer rehabilitation.

My in-laws have an old trailer that my husband used to tow canoes (pix below). It's itty-bitty, and it needs new tires. However, the canoe frame would provide about half the steel I need to make a proper teardrop frame for the 5x10 of my dreams, and the axle seems to be sound.

So what I'd like to do is have a welder (I can't weld, regrettably) cut apart the canoe rack, and weld it back together in a rectangle along with some new steel on top of the original trailer.

My questions are:

(1) will this be a safe arrangement? Note in particular that the axle is about 2.5 feet from the back end of the trailer--too far back?
(2) will all this cutting and welding of steel (not to mention the new tires!) cost so much that I might just as well have bought a brand-new 5x10? I think I can get one from a local trailer store for $600-650ish.

Here's a photo of the trailer in its current state:

Here's a diagram of the current state, with rough measurements:

Here's what I'd like a welder to do with it. Rust color is existing steel; aqua is new steel. As you can see, the end pieces would stick out past the long pieces--they are 5'5", while the original aluminum frame is 4' wide. I would have the walls of the trailer go out to the full 5'5", and have the floor overhang the tires & long pieces a bit.

And here's the cabin that I'm planning to build. I'll have to build a taller-than-normal floor/basement to life the cabin up over the tires, which I'm not thrilled about, but if it saves me $200-300, then I guess I can deal with a weird floor.

So what do you think? Give up on the free trailer? Or do you think I can find a (cheap?) welder to make it worth the bother?

Thanks for your help!
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Re: Can I turn this sow's ear into a silk purse?

Postby glenpinpat » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Looks good! I would slide the whole sub frame back a little so the axle moves a little farther to the front.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:59 pm

If it has been sitting a while it may need some new bearings as well as new tires. Just calculate that into the project. Plus you'll need some new lights and wire that would come with a new trailer.

I wonder if adding that material to the frame with the changes being made will weigh more than if a new frame was used, as long as the new frame was suitable for the job w/o needing a lot of extra changes?

There may be nothing wrong with re-purposing some of the canoe rack steel into frame use as shown, but that is making an assumption unless you know size, wall thickness and strengths.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:02 pm

I would use less steel (less xmbrs) and keep the width to 60 inches. Going wider means a lot more plywood and wasted material. The fabricator might actually suggest using fresh clean steel, and charge you less for it, because working with rusty steel is more of a hassle when it comes to welding. You have to grind a lot more to get clean welds and that is time consuming dirty work.

+1 on adding to the rear a little. Easy to trim the tongue back to suit overall length.

Modifying and repairing will take time and effort; don't underestimate this, especially if you don't plan to do the work yourself.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby plectrudis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks, all!

Glen & KC--about how far back do you think I should slide the frame? 1 foot? 1.5?
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby ctstaas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 am

Hi Plect, Lucky you- free trailer. I like both of your ideas. Your cabin plan and your comment on giving up the idea of butchering together a frame. It's an investment and starting with a strong foundation/frame makes sense to me. For $300 more than a HF trailer your could have a local welding shop make you what you really need. The Axle should be at 60-66% of the body length.
I too was recently given a free trailer. Yours is in great shape- sell it on CL or Ebay to offset the cost of a purpose built trailer frame. Mine is a basket case and the axle is OK but the rest is good for scrap steel. Scrap steel Good.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby plectrudis » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi, ctstaas. My husband agrees with you--fixing up the trailer could end up costing more than buying a new one. Sometimes, saving money just isn't cost-efficient ;-)

Thanks for the tip about the axle location!
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 am

I am a big fan of brakes (better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them) and you will not have them. I would be concerned the frame is going to be marginal. Canoes are about 80# each so not much weight.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby felixx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 am

I scratched around for a few months looking for the 'right' 2nd hand trailer
By the time I got 2 tyres, wheel bearings, and cleaned up the steel it was going to cost as much time and $ as making a new one.

I taught myself to weld and made a nice trailer for not much!
In fact I think my whole tear will have cost $2k NZ, ($1600US) to build. incl road tax
felixx
Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:46 am

By my eyeball, I think you might have to shorten the tongue by a third and add a couple of feet on the back. Just to get something like 60:40 over the axle. Otherwise I think you're going to have 500lb tongue weight by the time you're done.... unless you put a 200lb cast iron range in the galley.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets