newby question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

newby question

Postby bcox1990 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 pm

How can I tell if a mobile home axle can be rebuilt? Should I bother?
bcox1990
Teardrop Inspector

Re: newby question

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:25 pm

This is what Dexter Axles says about it:

AXLES - Can mobile home axles be reused?
The Dexter MH (mobile home) type axle is designed for limited usage in the delivery of manufactured homes and has a one-time limit use. The axle has steel forged spindles that are not precision ground. The brake assembly is welded onto the beam and not intended to be field replaced. Additionally, the bearing package is smaller than the more expensive service type axle. Most MH axles are also equipped with a single leaf spring suspension for very heavy loads. We do not have components that would convert MH axles to serviceable assemblies.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:51 am

Id stay away from them.
Many people reuse then for big trailers. Back in the 70-90 some came with wheels and tires that stated Mobile Home only. I had a mobile home and somebody stole 4 wheels/tires I laughed about it. Our local MSP motor courier loved getting people for improper/broken/missing equipment.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:31 pm

We have them under [/url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E4Z-vRgcAM]]Mista Ballista[/url] and they have been a problem because the brakes are worn out and there is no good way to refurb them. A few years back we had the single leaf springs on the back axle break and had to swap them out in the parking lot of a gas station in New Jersey. Not worth the hassle, plus they are big and heavy for a small camper application.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets